• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin and Halleck flinter help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmystry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently acquired an Austin and Halleck 50 cal. flinter at a rendevous here in southern Utah. It has been a tremendously accurate rifle with a perfect record of ignition in over 70 shots. I have been shooting Swiss 3f as both a main charge and prime.
Anyway...it tipped over in my house and cracked the stock in half at the lock. I think the wood is some kind of mystery wood but it is very lightweight and doesn't feel like quality hardwood. I was able to dowel it, glue it together, and refinish the stock and it works well but...
I would like to know if anyone is aware of a place I could buy a new quality hardwood stock for this gun. I don't really have woodworking skills to try to fashion one out of a blank. I believe if it was inletted and the ramrod channel was cut properly, I could probably do the rest slowly but surely.
Any suggestions from you fellas?
Also, cost is a factor for me. I'm willing to pay a reasonable sum but am of limited means. I would be willing to have a stock made for me if I could do it at a reasonable price from a custom shop.
Any help or a direction to a source would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to start.

Stocks turn up from time to time on the big auction sites. I hate to say it but I doubt you'll find a pre-inlet stock for that particular rifle. They just were never common enough to support aftermarket replacement stocks.

You could buy a pre-carve stock with the barrel and ramrod channels inlet but not the lock (or inlet for a better lock) and build around your existing parts or hire a builder to do the work for you. It won't be real cheap either way.

You could send your stock to a stockmaker and have him duplicate it. One of my nearest neighbors, now deceased, ran a stockmaking business for years and he did that quite often. If a person left their original stock with him so that he could add it to his pattern collection they got a price break. He would glue a piece of wood to the muzzle end for the machine to hook to and often had to do the same at the butt. He sometimes had to add wood to the area in front of the lock for the machine to grip. When he was finished the new wood could be knocked off and the stock refinished to be used again if needed. I would suggest you contact these people and if they can't do it they may know someone who can:
http://longrifles-pr.com/index.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
The A&H Mt. Rifle drawings/patent/etc. were sold to Traditions at one time, who produced the gun themselves unchanged, except maybe parts manufacturers. Scroll about 2/3 down and you will see a pic (small) of the Traditions version. http://rmcsports.com/rmcsports_cfmfiles/product.cfm?msection=1038 Also do a google for Traditions Mt. Rifle, and you will find pics of others.

Call Traditions Parts Dept. and see if they might have a stock for their Mt. Rifle. I know of one person who got a lock sear from Traditions, another who got a tumbler, and they were drop-in on the A&H lock, except length of the sear bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both my .50cal A&H flintlocks (one in 1:28 twist, one in 1:60) were stocked in stained Maple (a hardwood).

IMO, your repair should be good to go.

Back