• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

August 2020 Postal Match – V Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the month of August shooters will make their own target. The things you will need to make your target are:
• 1 sheet of 8-1/2 x 11” standard white paper
• 1 sheet of construction (colored) paper – color is your choice, it’s for contrast
• Pencil
• Black Sharpie Marker
• Straight edge long enough to go catty-corner as pictured
• Something to draw a 2-5/8” circle – A small Campbell’s Soup can, a protractor or even a string and pencil
• Scissors
• Scotch Tape – not pictured
Gather these supplies now so you will be ready to make your target by August 1st. If you have any questions or need clarification please don’t hesitate to contact me.

I will post instructions on how to make your target by the middle of next week – July 29th.
August Target Supplies.jpg

August 2020 V - Target Rules and Scoring
After making your target write your forum screen name on it so I can identify it.

Fire 5 shots.
The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.
No do-over’s.
Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc.

*New Rule!!*
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attache it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

Scoring will be as follows:

Scoring will be as indicated on the target pictured below. In the event of a tie the target with the shot closest to the center in the V – 10 will win the match.

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring area to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the area in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 5 shots only, at each target, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target with your forum screen name written on it, postmarked no later than August 31, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: August Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!
MSmith

Attachments

• V9.jpg
    V9.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 136
Back