• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Attention Britts...please help me out with grades of black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the days in question they were wanting longer range rather than more power at short range with a shotgun.
They knew that too much pressure ruined patterns, so choke was finally born. (seems with a bit of help from the milkman!)
The jingle Tenngun, was;
"Little powder much lead,
shoots far kills dead".

29.99£ for 500 grams? About $40 USD a lb... not to bad I guess.

But knowing you that won't last long at all!!!
It's not good either...it's was only 16£ a few years ago!
It will last a while. I've throttled back from muzzloading this past year.
I'm saving it for after the lead ban. Prepping I think they call it!

My 14-bore Purdey has a charge label that says 5 grams Fine Powder/28 grams shot.

It has a scoop that may have been made for it. It holds around 72 grains of powder and just over 1 ounce of shot.

I have no way to measure grams volumetrically. So I just use the scoop and all is well. The point is, the label says FINE POWDER.

I never paid much attention to it, but wrote it off as a reference to quality. In hindsight, it may refer to granulation size.
I can tell you 28 grams is so close to an ounce it will scare the bejesus out of it.
After My first drug raid a doper had to tell me how many grams are in ounce. Also told me a nickel weighs 5 grams and is good for calibrating your scale. You never forget your first time!

I can tell you 28 grams is so close to an ounce it will scare the bejesus out of it.
After My first drug raid a doper had to tell me how many grams are in ounce. Also told me a nickel weighs 5 grams and is good for calibrating your scale. You never forget your first time!
32g is very close to 1&1/8oz and as it happens,36g =1&1/4oz!

It's not good either...it's was only 16£ a few years ago!
It will last a while. I've throttled back from muzzloading this past year.
I'm saving it for after the lead ban. Prepping I think they call it!
Oh how we long for the good old days. A friend went to the Winchester Shoot a dozen years ago and bought me a Five Pound grocery sack of Goex 3fffg. The bulk powder cost $7.00 a pound. I should've bought a trailer load!

I remember when percussion caps went to a dollar a tin! I thought I'd have to get a flintlock! But I was earning $3.35 an hour in '83. Lots of beans and rice in those days.

Back