• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Attempting to customize a CRKT hammer pole tomahawk.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got to tell you Shiloh, I’ve been waiting to see the finished product for what seemed like a really long time. I would check the Forum several times, every day. Tonight, I sat down, opened the Forum, and Dayummmm ! That is beautiful ! Beautiful wood, beautiful transformation of the head. The combination is simply.... WOW ! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now R U going to take that out to the woods and beat on it or hang it up?

Now R U going to take that out to the woods and beat on it or hang it up?

N.Y. Yankee, I do them as a hobby and collect them. At one time I had about 8 or 9 of them. I traded and gave some away to friends. I currently have about 7 I have done. I have used them in camp chores and in field dressing and quartering game. I have a few I use most of the time and I have ones I keep as collectors. I have tried to do at least one of the major companies that make a nice hammer pole hawk. I may at one point put it to use or it may become one of my favorite collectors. I made and sold enough of them at one time several years ago to make enough to buy a new custom Shiloh Sharps rifle. :)

Last edited:
N.Y. Yankee, I do them as a hobby and collect them. At one time I had about 8 or 9 of them. I traded and gave some away to friends. I currently have about 7 I have done. I have used them in camp chores and in field dressing and quartering game. I have a few I use most of the time and I have ones I keep as collectors. I have tried to do at least one of the major companies that make a nice hammer pole hawk. I may at one point put it to use or it may become one of my favorite collectors. I made and sold enough of them at one time several years ago to make enough to buy a new custom Shiloh Sharps rifle. :)
What type of finish did you apply to the head? It has a very nice brown patina that I really like.

Any self-respecting Indian would kill for a hawk like that ! :D

I am Indian and from my perspective I sure wouldn't.

While the OP did a great job, this hawk isn't historical in any way, shape or form. Not trying to be disrespectful but we need to stick within the guidelines of the forum rules for items and discussion.

Last edited:

While the OP did a great job, this hawk isn't historical in any way, shape or form. Not trying to be disrespectful but we need to stick within the guidelines of the forum rules for items and discussion.

Crewdawg445, really. Here are some photos of early Indian and colonial tomahawks, one dated as early as 1757 and others from 1850 to 1875.

18010554_5_lg dated 1757.jpg

This one is dated 1757

055d547ea5de05d02727a81779c62378--indian-tomahawk-battle-axe.jpg

This one 1850-1875

7807327_orig.jpg
This one 1850-1875.
18630082_2_lg.jpg

This one 1850-1875

I can show many more but this should be sufficient.

I think my customized CRKT tomahawk though not an exact copy or rendition is a fair attempt, but I realize we all have our opinions.

Here is a link with lots of information and photos.
https://www.furtradetomahawks.com/hammer-polled-tomahawks---12.html

Last edited:
Here is a 18th century hammer poll tomahawk that sold for over $87,000 at a 2006 Bonhams auction .

View attachment 7893

Excellent examples and thank you for those, however we are trying to compare apples to oragnes. Only thing they have in common is they are fruit. As mentioned before, a job well done though.

Excellent examples and thank you for those, however we are trying to compare apples to oragnes. Only thing they have in common is they are fruit. As mentioned before, a job well done though.

With all due respect sir, and please understand I am not trying to be a smart aleck, but it is neither apples nor oranges but according to you it is the historical accuracy with regard to the style of tomahawks of the 18th century unless I miss understood you. I correctly offered photos of tomahawks that pertain to that period showing that my modified rendition of the CRKT hawk although not an exact copy is indeed similar to those of that period. It makes no difference who might have made them or who might have owned them during that time in history.

According to your reasoning anyone who has a Thompson Center, Connecticut Valley Arms, Navy Arms, or other such traditional muzzleloaders should not be allowed to post remarks or photos of their firearms on the forum since none of them are historically accurate in design. They just look similar to 18th century firearms.

Crewdawg445, as you, neither am I interested in a debate on the topic, but your original post accused me and others who have posted on this thread of circumventing the forum rules and guidelines with regard to this thread. I would assume these forums have moderators and that they are the ones who determine whether a thread has gone outside the intent of the forum. If it is then determined by the moderators I have strayed outside the forum rules and caused others to do likewise then I apologize to misleading those who have posted to this thread and request the moderators remove it.

The Forum rules for this area of the forum say,
"Knives, Tomahawks, Canteens, Flint and Steel; All the stuff in your Possibles Bag. (not your shooting bag)".

The item in the photos originally posted in this topic sure look like it fits into the stuff listed in the rule.

As for it fitting into some time period, the Forum Rules say,
"The focus of this site is "Traditional Muzzleloading"; The history of muzzleloading weapons and battles, up to and including the American Civil War. (From the inception of firearms through 1865)."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am under the assumption that lightweight, single edged axes often called tomahawks and similar to the one shown in the OP's pictures were primarily used for battle prior to 1865.

It would reduce the number of verbal conflicts in many of the posts on the Muzzleloader Forum if the members would let the moderators do the moderating to decide if a topic or item fits the rules.

Shiloh

Thank you for taking the time to show us what is possible when it comes to dressing up/modifying a commercial tomahawk. Keep up the good work!

Awesome work Shiloh!!! Would you sell one to a CHEROKEE?
Seriously....
I’m not joking!!!
I’d use it for sure!!!

Well, dang it, my few drops of Mic'Mac/Abenaki/Cherokee/Choctaw blood are jumping up and down to handle such a beautiful 'hawk... And since a certain Lenape elder friend of mine pointed out that modern tribesmen do not reenact, but evolve in their dress, etc, I hereby declare Shiloh's hawk fair dinkum and would be proud to pack it around, if I can get him to send it to me!

Back