• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

attaching horn to bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right handed shooter. I prefer the bag on the right, horn on the left. Both carried up high.

Makes running and fast movement much easier as they are secure against my body and not flipping and flopping around.

Pro, the horn is always with the bag if you have a bag for every gun.
Con, the horn isn't available to carry without the bag, or with another bag.

Sorry, I don't have photos of my set up... but I don't have a shooting bag for every gun. I'd be broke on stuff to put in them alone.
I'm right handed I shoot rifles and smoothbores of various sizes.

On my Right, I carry a possibles bag (don't shoot me, it is indeed a possibles/tool bag not a shooting bag) with my horn....separate since I have different sized horns with different tips to use. If needed, this side carries a haversack with lunch/dinner.
In that bag, I carry the basics of jags for the guns I shoot, screwdriver, knapping hammer, a couple extra flints and flint leathers, thread adapters, breech brush and scrapers etc. The otherwise loose tools are in a flat leather pouch with a slot for each tool. It folds in half and binds with a thong. (sewing kits are called Hussif, or house wife. I call this kit a housfrau-honey)

On my Left, I carry my shooting bag. It generally has the ball, patches and an extra jag for the gun in question. eg for my 45, 50, 54's, the appropriate patching, ball and a couple flints. For my larger smoothbores. I carry ball, but also the correct cards and wads with a small bag of shot. (enough for 10 loads) I also always carry a canteen on that side.

This is part of my collection I was cleaning/yearly maintenance on... excuse the rust.. that's why I was working on them. It was a wet week in camp and the tent got flooded. Served me right, my firelocks normally have their own cot to rest on, not the ground. Was teaching and is why so many.
View attachment 83372
you are the KID with all of the toys!!! a beautiful collection!!

My bag is on my left side and the horn is on the right. Feels better for me especially when hunting.

My horn is attached to the bag and I wear it on the right (right handed). Just what I prefer.

I've always had a separate horn. I have six bags set up for six calibers but only two horns: 2f and 3f. I don't see buying more horns than I need. Saves me some money to buy lead and ball instead.

I tend to keep pouch on right and horn on left side so my body is between it and the lock. Just seems a bit safer to me.

My first pouch I made in 1972 and wore it on my right side (I'm right handed) and had the horn secured to the pouch. Later on I learned in the 18th century it was more common for the horn to be on a separate strap and I found that worked much better for me.

Gus

Being built closer to the ground than most - not short or small statured, understand - my hunting/shooting bags are smaller as are the horns I use. Two of my bags I cobbled up myself with two others being gifted. The gifted ones are a bit larger while the ones I made are around 5" to 6" square; the horns hold roughly 3 oz of powder. This makes them excellent for a one piece tote.

My first bag (bought) 55+ years ago and the separate horn were quite large and awkward. I thought this was the way they were meant to be. Attached horns are a fairly new thing with me; took a long time to get fed up with straps tangled in brush. It is a truly personal choice and we all have our idiosyncrasies and needs; there's even a name for it, "custom fitting".

This old boy from Kansas appears to have his powder-horn hanging by his right hip, with a fairly large belt pouch on his left:

2021-05-17 (1).png

This looks like a very practical arrangement.

Notchy Bob

Bag left hip horn right hip. I prime from the horn same fffg as the main charge and find it a little awkward if the horn isn’t on its own strap.

Back