• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

At What Range Have Most of Your Big Game Animals Been Shot At?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, they are easy to see when in southern Saskatchewan. That was with modern obviously. My longest muzzleloader was a mullie at 100yds. Cast .490 wheel weight ball tore the lungs out and exited far side.
Walk
Hunting with wheel-weight lead…gosh that brings back memories.

Those balls are hard…shoot ’em, dig ‘em out of the ground, wash ‘em off and shoot ‘em again.

All my hunting is done from canoe, in southern rivers and flooded lowlands. Its basically a 50 yard zone, especially shooting live animals in a moving boat, wile my right hand is always on the paddle keeping the nose forward and bypassing flotsam, or anything that would make noise and betray my position. My short Brown Bess with buckshot, or my Pedersoli 12guage double do the trick for fast close up work. My Uberti Hawken, with its heavy barrel and crispy set trigger do the job out further, 75-80 yards the usual max. The heavy barrel is a positive when drifting and aiming. Every gun I buy, I generally lie to myself, that being that I wont need anymore! Now I am thinking a short barreled, large caliber flintlock Jaeger, must join my little Corps of discovery. My thoughts anyway...

Modern 80-100, muzzleloader 50, archery 40 max modern 30 max with traditional archery if I were well practiced. I often employ minute of squirrel kill guideline.

All of my "big game" hunting has been done in the Texas Hill Country where "big" is a relative thing. Our whitetails run on the small side. So do shooting distances. I've dropped a few at as much as 100 yards away but most were within 50. Pigs are harder to kill and I doubt I've shot one much beyond 50 yards.
John
I hunted the Hill country and as far as small size game goes that doesn't apply to the hogs. I bow hunted with a friend from Sabinal and took a hog that was everything but small!

I hunted the Hill country and as far as small size game goes that doesn't apply to the hogs. I bow hunted with a friend from Sabinal and took a hog that was everything but small!
My son lives in Temple…he says he sees 300+ pound hogs along the side of the road, almost every morning as he drives in to work…

Though I have taken many deer to out to 125 yards or so, I still am sort of an archer and ten to twenty yards suits me just fine.

Longest shot with a muzzleloader was of all things a headshot rabbit at a measured 65m. Everything else I've shot has been well under that.

Mule and whitetail deer, combined total of 15 animals, all but one probably inside 75 yards. One mule deer an offhand Hail Mary at about 125 long strides, if there is such a thing given my 29" inseam. This with my .45 Beaver Lodge. Spine hit she folded on the spot.

In the world of the "unmentionable" higher power optics and fat belly cartridges consuming mass quantities of smokeless seem to be in vogue. That ain't hunting friend, it's sniping.

Back