• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

At what point to stop cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used WD40 for over 40 years without a problem.
I still have most of a gallon of it I've probably had for 20 or more years. 😂 😂 A good lubricant it's not, but it definitely has its uses. 👍 There are those who believe it's a wonderful cleaner/polisher for stainless steel appliances in the home. But that's a dark path we don't go down in my house. That recommendation often comes from folks who also believe that WD-40 is a good lubricant.

Their guns that were well cared for (however that was done) look good today. The other ones (that weren't cared for in successful ways) of course aren't around any longer. 😂 But even if all they had was water and one kind of oil or another, it almost certainly was the frequency of cleaning and protection that mattered -- and not specifically what they used. In general, the same thing is true today.

Beginning in the mid 1950s to mid 1960s i owned or handled a few hundred original muzzleloaders. At least 75 percent of the bores were roached. The breeches and first few inches of the barrels of most were pitted and/or rusted from the corrosive caps. Many shooters never wiped off the primer residue and lubed the area: Maybe they had nothing to do it with.

Totally up to you. It's probably a bit cheaper than Diclofenac, and it's probably not actually dangerous. And even if it would give you a problem in ten years of so, how long do you figure we're going to last anyway? But as you suggest, others may have a different perspective.

Totally up to you. It's probably a bit cheaper than Diclofenac, and it's probably not actually dangerous. And even if it would give you a problem in ten years of so, how long do you figure we're going to last anyway? But as you suggest, others may have a different perspective.
guarantee me half that and i will pitch the wd-40! :ghostly:
i discovered the prophylactic use when using wd-40 to clean my hands. smells better than gasoline! 🥴

Took my Austin and Hallefk mountain rifle out of the safe for the first time in about a year to check zero and can't recall how I approached the issue I am currently facing. I only put 2 rounds down using pyrodex and after about 50 patches it's still coming out somewhat dirty. I cleaned it with hot, soapy water multiple times but am still getting out somewhat dirty patches. It's becoming pretty frustrating to I have to imagine I'm overdoing something. At what point do you folks usually stop sending patches through? I'm most worried about corrosion. Thanks in advance.
Two things I did helped cut down on my cleaning. First, I scrubbed the bore with metal polish which surprised me how much easier it was to clean. Then, i started cleaning at the range. I run two wet patches and a dry one before I leave and it's cut down my patches at home by at least 30%. I never use hot water anymore either.

I run two wet patches and a dry one before I leave and it's cut down my patches at home by at least 30%. I never use hot water anymore either.
Well, okay. So you use fewer patches at home because you use more at the range. :rolleyes: But do you count the three patches you've already used at the range in the total number of patches used? 😂

I confess that I do that at the range too, but I doubt that it affects the overall cleaning effort and number of patches required. However, I'm open to accepting a grant to do an objective controlled study on that. 💰🤑

ML rifles will drive the average OCD individual off the deep end trying to get it PERFECTLY clean. I know, I am one of them people...hot water will cause flash rust and properly polished barrels are a dream to clean up! Keep on swabbin'

I have used this for decades and have never had any problems with cleaning, no flash rusting. After the last patch comes out clean, I run a patch with Barricade down several times. Before shooting another patch with the solvent and it's good to go.
Black Powder Solvent/Cleaner

1 part Murphy’s Oil Soap

2 parts rubbing alcohol

2 parts peroxide

Skip the hoppes and use some some olive oil, WD 40 or something. I’ve found that hoppes reacts with some barrel steel and causes black patches. Someone will chime in and say never use any kinds of petroleum based lubes. They are also the ones who will spout to season a barrel with bore butter. I use whatever is at hand to lube mine including petroleum products. Make sure to clean it out before shooting. I use alcohol or brake cleaner. Run a few patches of WD40 down it or olive oil or whatever and I bet your dirty looking patches go away unless your bore is a rusty mess from prior neglect.
WD 40 is a water displacement. (WD = Water Displacement) It is not sufficient as a final lubricant.

I ran across an elderly woman during my clinical internship back in 1992 who swore by using WD 40 for arthritis!!
i lied! i also spray my fishing lures with it. especially marshmallow/egg combo bait.
there is a soothing/warming sensation that helps eliminate the sore stiffness. DMSO is another solvent i use. let the screeching begin!

Back