• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

At these prices we all can own cannons!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HERN makes Dixie Gun Works barrels. He told us Turner Kirkland at Dixie bought all his SECONDS or mis cast ones. Said he was so crooked when he dies they will have to screw him into the ground. We shoot a Mt Howitzer barrel from them at Fort Christmas in Orlando Fl. Plus my old CW unit in Ohio had a hern ornance rifle...JIM :m2c:

This thread has more lives than a cat.

I don't hold Hern's disclaimer against them. Tell a liability lawyer you want to sell cannon. At least they don't stamp it on the barrel like that other cannon being currently discussed.

My Hern Coehorn is great. I took a large machinist square to it and the liner is perfectly placed. If there is a seam, lots of inspection with bright lights fails to show it.

The bore might not be PC but that is fine. What do you do with a PC bore - fire blanks? I suppose you could fire PC shot, hollow balls filled with BP set to explode. If you do, please have your attorney send us your new address since you might not be allowed computer access. We'll keep you informed of happenings here.

Even our bible, "The More Complete Cannoneer", does not condemn subcalibering. He seemed intrigued by it. It is certainly easier to cast solid than hollow shot.

Steve

Cannonball,

Do you know if this company in your neck of the woods is still in business?
This information comes from a 2001 publication.
The email address listed keeps being returned.

COMPAGNIE ROYAL D

If you like that, then check out these cannons at Grey-Star Technologies:

http://www.greystarcannontech.homestead.com/star.html

1/3 Scale 6 Pounder Cannon $185

1/2 Scale 6 Pounder Cannon $395

WARNING! Hern advertises its wares as decorative items only; NOT to be fired!

I have been on the board just under 1 week and I went to the "Links" section and found Grey Star and have already ordered 2 1/3 scale Cannons ($185.00) each and am looking forward to these! I think theyll be great for my purposes.Really excited to get started on the Trundles.

As far as Hern goes.,that Decorative statement is for liability purposes only., I talked to Jack last year before he retired and I bought 2 2/3 scale 3" ordinance rifles at 340lbs a barrel., I am here to tell you these are REAL. I can launch a small juice can filled with concrete at 800ft per second for 1700 yards accurately in naval trundles. (I know these are not naval guns however they were chosen for weight and length due to shipping) they got from Idaho to Washington on 230.00 together., and then to Cebu Philippines for $2000.00 dollars and 10 months shipping time clearing ATF and Philippine customs. However they are there now.

By the way if thos GreyStars are as nice as I think they will be., I will be buying 4 more.
Tropicocannons02.jpg

Tropicocannons07.jpg

I have plans "Grinning" :thumbsup:

When you get your barrels, please check them carefully. There was a long thread on another board where someone got one with the geometry so off the liner was almost sticking through the breech. Grey Star did make it right and sent a replacement barrel but he had to fight a bit to get it.

I can understand wanting a good deal. That's why I have a Hern Coehorn. I could have spent $1000's on it instead of $100's. I'm pleased with it and probably will buy from them again.

Steve

Ouch ! That sounds Nasty ! I hope the Grey Stars are better than that.,and I will be checking them. I would imagine that doesnt happen very often., He has sold to many Yacht Clubs and boat owners.,ect.,ect. Perhaps Grey Star has done enough now he has a good handle on his process. I am sure it'll all be good.,I find most Cannoneers are of "Good Caliber".

The HERN Cannons I recieved changed my mind about casting over a pipe., I am shocked with the quality. The liners are as perfect as we can detect.,they shoot "On the money" and you cant see a casting seem., and you cant see liner line at the Bore Muzzle., Jack said to me they get their heat to a point the liner is married to the casting.
:front:

Well there in., fast too ! I was surprised.,The 1/4 Scale Grey Star 6'pndrs are here. Yup better than expected too! Straight bores and really nice castings. My kodak digi cam will be in the P.O.Box in the next few days as well. So I will start a new thread and will post some photos of these as well as the carriage build ups. These are gonna be fun. :thumbsup:

Back