• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE At the Risk of looking like a flake....A&K Cannon 1960's For Sale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irtmks

32 Cal
Reaction score
First, I must sincerely apologize......At the risk of being a flake, I am writing this again. Several years ago, I had decided to sell this cannon I have had for many years. I wrote this forum hoping to get information about the cannon, and how to sell it.

Although folks here were quite helpful, and I received a pretty strong positive response, I ended up getting cold feet. This forum is filled with really wonderful members who have provided additional information to the history of this Cannon.

I guess my cold feet came from the fond memories. A few years have passed. I thought I was old before, but now am older! This cannon sits in my library and has for years. I guess I was not really ready and only thought I was. I sincerely apologize. Lately, the more I have sat and looked at it, the more memories rushed back in, but I realize now it is time for others to make their own memories with this fine little girl!

I want someone else to have the fun and joy I have had owning this relic. Anyone who owns at least one cannon knows that it is indeed a conversation starter. The rush of firing it off, the smell of the powder, the cheers of bystanders, the workmanship, all great memories. It is time for others to safely enjoy! My eyesight is fading fast and I fear my brain is not far behind.

The Cannon:

Now located in Mesa, AZ

$795 (Shipping packing and insurance paid by buyer)

A&K Manufacturing Company of Tucson, AZ.

American Revolutionary Six Pounder Field Cannon Manufactured by A&K, Tucson, Az around 1960.

Years ago, a fellow had sent me some specifications for this very cannon from A&K.

Weight = 17 pounds
Barrel = machines from a solid billet of steel
Overall Length = 26 1/2"
Overall Height = 10 3/4"
Overall Width = 15 1/2"
Carriage is seasoned hardwood
Diameter of wheels (dished) = 10 3/4"
Bore = 5/8"
Maximum Range= 3,500 Yards

Cannon fuse = 1/8"
Barrel Diameter at discharge end = 1.660"
Barrel Diameter at fuse end = 2.00"
Trunion arm diameter is 0.750"

Carriage wood sides are 2' x 3/4"
Carriage width = 4 1/4"

As I mentioned, a about 8 years ago, I was able to track down the "A" part of A&K Manufacturing. He was pretty old. He said they were proud of the "special" grade steel that was used in their cannons. He told me "they had tested it, and ensured that it could not burst with any amount of Black Powder overcharge"
I shot several 5/8 balls and some mini-balls pictured. The cannon was always cleaned. When I purchased the cannon, no "tools" were included.

I will include the pile of .58 cal balls and miniballs, as well as 2 coils of fuse.

Another fellow recently sent me this quote he had found about A&K............

A & K MFG. Co., INC. out of Tucson, AZ made four models: An "American Revolutionary Six Pounder Field Cannon," "Naval Deck Gun," "Dahlgren Gun With Marsilly Carriage," and a "Coehorn Siege Mortar." "All barrels are made fom solid billets of steel. There are no welds, press fits or dangerous castings used in barrel manufacture." I'm copying this stuff out of their brochure, and there's also a picture of a guy of 300+ pounds standing on the field gun with a caption that reads "These Cannons Are Darn Tough!"
If a small steel cup with a brass pointed rod coming out the bottom came with your gun, that's the powder measure and vent prick. For obvious reasons their suggested load for the field gun is 50 gr. FFg........

A&K.jpg

20190120_134834.jpg

20190120_134020.jpg

20190120_134410.jpg

20190120_134049.jpg

20190120_134142.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about cannons, but that seems like a good deal for one!

Ha, Ha, I can't tell you what a conversation piece it is. Especially around July 4th. I think every couple I have ever met that find out I have a Cannon say the same thing.............(Female part of couple).."Why in the world would anyone want to own a Cannon?" (Male part of couple)...."That is soooo cool"

Although, having said that, I convinced a very, very, very liberal friend who (was) totally anti gun of any kind to ..."Just light the fuse one time." She has now, lit that fuse dozens of times, owns and shoots regularly at a Scottsdale gun range. She is a "believer!" She hates clowns, so I made some clown targets to go with the Cannon. Yep, this will make a believer out of all your friends relatives and neighbors.

oh, that's tempting..... I needed a cannon several years ago, for the opening ceremonies of a match I used to run at Ben Avery
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/Cannon-and-crew-needed.htmlwe ended up finding a few guys with full sized cannons so we had the cannon blast for a few years.... but we lost touch with them and haven't had the cannon blast in a while.
I no longer run this match, but a cannon could be useful to bring out for that event once a year!

Poole

Ha, just the point! One never really knows the moment they might need a Cannon, yet it is Always a good idea to be ready......Semper Paratus (Always Ready). Of course the other part of the Coast Guard Creed is..."You have to go out...you don't have to come back"

My father had a Paulson Brothers 2.9” Parrott Rifle when I was growing up. We did some re-enacting (1st PA light Artillery, Bat. F) for awhile (early 90’s) and when I joined the service he donated it to a reenactment group. I wish I had it now. No finer way to ring in New Year’s, 4th of July, and any old Tuesday!

Back