• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Assembling a Siler Flint Lock from a kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAN

40 Cal
Reaction score
I finished drilling, tapping, removing casting sprues, heat treating and tempering all parts of this Siler Kit. They are not something you just slap together. I've had it in a box for years as I bought it back when they were $59.95 and finally got around to using it in a pistol build. It sparks and works great after test assembly and was pretty smooth as is but could use some more slicking up. Any of you who have built these kits have a good suggestion as to what method works best to finish the action?

Attachments

• IMG_2426.JPG
    IMG_2426.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 4
patience, elbow grease and progressively finer sandpaper until you are satisfied with the results. Sounds good to save a little money by putting one of these together until you figure up the time you put into it.

As usual, Phil knows what he is talking about. You have a little treasure in that Siler. I have a Pete Allen built Siler in my flint longrifle. Used it as my main rifle with thousands of shots for over 40 years. Never a failure.

Good ideas. Thanks! I belive I will get all the heat treat scale off with fine sand paper and then use fine stones to slick up the moving parts surfaces. Instruction sheet did not mention bridle and plate but it makes sense to harden those surfaces for wear resistance too. It is a lot of work but it's hard to believe these small Siler lock kits are now $175. And finished ones are $250. Glad I kept this one.

Last edited:
Back