• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Asparagus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When younger I would look for wild Asparagus along the fence rows and along rail road tracks where the birds would light and take a dump depositing the seeds that they ate. used to find a bunch have not done that in years. Might have to get out and take a stroll to some of the old spots, once you found a good area or two you stayed quiet about it. We had grilled asparagus last evening with supper really like it but it was bought fresh at the market.

Yep you have to keep quiet about things like that. Sheepshead is another thing you don't want to say where you found them. But I do like it when it is fresh and especially on the grill.

We just cut down the dead stocks today and applied 10 50 pound bags of instant cow dung over the section that is 4 1/2 feet x 16 feet. It's ready for the spring crop. Also fertilized the 5x5 foot Rhubarb patch the same way.

It was 13°F here last night but warming to the 60°F for 2-3 days and some rain so the instant cow dung will start working

Boy! o_O What won't they think of next????? Instant cow dung!!!!!

Be careful with that stuff. You don't want to mix it up with your Instant Soup mix when your out with friends on a hunting trip.
If you do, expect someone to say, "Now you've dung it."

I have instant cow dung machines here on my farm. All I have to do is put a round bale out there and it turns into cow dung. I even have a instant bull dung machine. 😉

I brush them with bacon grease, sprinkle with lemon pepper and throw them in the oven at 400 deg. for about 10 minutes for the skinny ones and about 15 minutes for the larger ones.

fuzzy, that a skunk your holding, when I was a kid there was a lady I mowed grass for she had a pet skunk friendliest critter I ever seen. Caught a baby ground hog once thought it would be a neat pet orneriest critter on the earth finally turned him loose. Looks like a number 3 pelt.

fuzzy, that a skunk your holding, when I was a kid there was a lady I mowed grass for she had a pet skunk friendliest critter I ever seen. Caught a baby ground hog once thought it would be a neat pet orneriest critter on the earth finally turned him loose. Looks like a number 3 pelt.

Mascot of the USS Carp SS 338. They got this little critter just after I left the boat. I understand he had problems with the pressure changes when snorkeling so they found him a good home.

I have instant cow dung machines here on my farm. All I have to do is put a round bale out there and it turns into cow dung. I even have a instant bull dung machine. 😉

I also have an instant cow dung machine... but I turn it off after watching the news!
🤣

Roll them in olive oil and dose with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Broil or grill them but do not, for God's sake, cook them to death.
Cut them in one inch pieces, blanch them, and bake them in a frittata.
Cook some pancetta. Chop it up good. Fry chopped up asparagus in the fat. Mix it all together and put it on hot, cooked pasta.
A spice grinder filled with lemon zest and black peppercorns is essential in the asparagus season.

Been picking for two weeks and giving away as much as I cant eat. Planted 250 crowns about 6 years ago but lost a few. hoping to start another patch at my retirement woods soon. Good stuff cut in 1 inch sections sauteed with a few thin sliced ramp heads and coarse chopped bacon then added to alfredo sauce over linguini. Use the thin sliced ramp greens on top.

Back