• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ASM 1851 Navy??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwiggins1985

40 Cal
Reaction score
I picked this up today at a local shop when I was picking up a transfer. It looks like it’s an 1851 navy in 36 cal.
9AA31E0A-A9E4-4D0B-9092-303526066BDD.jpeg

It isn’t marked with any caliber marks. Everything is under the loading lever.
F79BED6B-C792-459B-93B6-707C2135DBCE.jpeg

The date stamp seems to be [AP] which is 1986 I think.
9EBB4C1F-E9E9-4CEA-9B86-A29B9CB55584.jpeg

I am a little lost because of the trigger guard. The stamp on the front strap has the same serial number as the frame.

I stripped it down and polished it up internally. It seemed to be covered in dried cosmaline. The trigger spring was really heavy. So I tried to trim it down a bit and I messed up and cut off too much!!! 🤦‍♂️
0837884B-A75E-4295-B268-B1EC4F17C1C6.jpeg

Hello Wolff reduced power spring!!!

Attachments

• 02FC6CC0-CD90-4090-9E8B-CF3DD7C5BB20.jpeg
    02FC6CC0-CD90-4090-9E8B-CF3DD7C5BB20.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 49
  • E59268E2-5CD3-41E2-A2F3-81EDF5C3DB53.jpeg
    E59268E2-5CD3-41E2-A2F3-81EDF5C3DB53.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1FC0C683-BEDE-44FB-8E9C-C6A9AF483786.jpeg
    1FC0C683-BEDE-44FB-8E9C-C6A9AF483786.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 56
"I am a little lost because of the trigger guard."

?? It's a square back trigger guard Navy and yes they really existed.

That's actually the mainspring, did it break because you narrowed it too much? I don't have any experience with Wolf springs but I have read a couple of times they were too weak to set off percussion caps reliably. The trigger spring is the little 2 legged flat spring in front of the trigger.

Ok I miss spoke… yes I cut the mainspring down some to help with the hammer weight but I cut too much off…

I was confused as I have only seen the square trigger guards on the walker revolvers and then on my ruger super Blackhawk

Nice find, where bouts in Central Texas you find that and did they have more? Good price? I used to have and Armi San Marco exactly like that as well and traded it off for another 1860 Army. Kind of wish I had kept it, but those square back trigger guards although really smart looking, are just a little too small for my fat finger.

Great gun! Square backs existed on early 1851s but someone with more knowledge than me (everyone) can fill in the blanks.

I’m in the round rock area of Austin. I found it randomly at the new gun shop I used for a transfer… it was just sitting on the back shelf. I kind of took over the guys work bench in the back of the shop and tore it down to clean all the gunk out to get it to move decent. He was like you’re just gonna clean our guns for us… I was like yea and I’m gonna buy this one lol.

Not muzzle loader related but they got a bunch of Winchester 94s from someone… I’m thinking about one really hard lol like the Marlins better though.

Nice find!! The Colt 2nd Generation 51 Navies all had the early square back trigger guard. I'm not sure why Colt chose to go with that style for the 2nd Gen guns since that was only on the 1st & 2nd models of original Colt Navies? They DO look pretty cool though.

Last edited:
Yikes!! You know there are books you can read about tuning S.A. revolvers . . . what kind of polishing did you do?

Mike

I polished the pins and bearing surfaces to get rid of all the milling marks and etc. I totally screwed up with the main spring by trimming it too short…. I bought the one from deer creek.

Back