• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ASM 1849 Pocket Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy one of these; said to be unfired, bbl is marked Replica Arms, Inc. Marietta, Ohio, Made in Italy. Comes with a flask, two cavity brass mold and an inline capper. Pictures seem to back up the unfired claim. Looks new. It's $125 and an 80 mile drive. Are these ASM guns in good shape worth buying?

20191221_143746.jpg

I have an asm 1860 army and a walker . I own uberti's too . I think they are just as good . parts from uberti's can be worked to fit.
I saw that 1849 on armslist and emailed them if they would be willing to ship but no answer. Not all replica arms were asm. Some were ubertis. Hope that helps.

That would depend on what you wanted to do, and how often you would shoot it. I have a Signature Colt 1849 Pocket. I think it is just beautiful. I saw a replica Pocket mounted in a shadow box with some gold mining memorabilia. That inspired me to get a Pocket. I haven’t shot it, and I don’t think I will. :dunno:

I don’t think the asking price is out of line for the one you are interested in.

Have a chance to buy one of these; said to be unfired, bbl is marked Replica Arms, Inc. Marietta, Ohio, Made in Italy. Comes with a flask, two cavity brass mold and an inline capper. Pictures seem to back up the unfired claim. Looks new. It's $125 and an 80 mile drive. Are these ASM guns in good shape worth buying?

View attachment 21433
At that price it is well worth the money.

These were pocket revolvers, made to be carried in a coat pocket so they are quite small in size. If you have a big hand they might be considered tiny but they are fun to shoot.
I'd say, drive the 80 miles, pay the price and be happy. :)

View attachment 21433

Buy it, I have one and they are a hoot to shoot. Well worth the price plus the extras

Hello Columbus,

Parts can be hard to find, I do know the Uberti Trigger Bolt Spring will work in the ASM 1851. As far as quality it was iffy. Some were good & some were bad. They had quality issues. But at $125, I'd probably pick it up.

AntiqueSledMan.

Made the drive and bought it. Heck of a deal really as it came with a correct flask, bullet mould, capper, 100 caps and 60 round balls. With the exception of a tiny mark on the wedge screw the gun is unmarked. Everything works right, timing is on the money. I've taken it completely apart, every single screw, every part laid out and other than the engraved Replica Arms logo and a matching SN everywhere there are no markings. No proof mark, no ASM, Uberti or ?? - nothing on it. Parts are well fitted and finished. Could this be an Uberti?

Last edited:
Very nice. The squareback trigger guard was standard on the 1848 but special-order on the 1849 (Haven). The frame coloring looks vibrant in the photo; have you determined if it is genuinely color case-hardened?

I'm sure it's an ASM by the unusual shape of the end of the rammer where it is attached to the lever. It's identical to my ASM '49 pocket. Mine is faintly marked MARCO on the lower front of the left side of the frame just where Colt placed their name on the originals.The serial # on mine appears on the bottom of the barrel lug, the front of the frame adjacent to that and the front of the trigger guard and also on the bottom of the grip. ASMs were never up to Uberti standards but for the most part they were quite serviceable revolvers and responded well to a tuneup. Where they really got their bad reputation was from the cartridge conversion revolvers they produced just before gong out of business. While some of those were fine functioning guns others were too small for a boat anchor and too large for a paperweight.

I wish mine was a square back but I do have a 6" Wells Fargo by Marco that is. BTW the only manufacturer's mark on either is the small MARCO on the frame.

I'm sure it's an ASM by the unusual shape of the end of the rammer where it is attached to the lever. It's identical to my ASM '49 pocket. Mine is faintly marked MARCO on the lower front of the left side of the frame just where Colt placed their name on the originals.The serial # on mine appears on the bottom of the barrel lug, the front of the frame adjacent to that and the front of the trigger guard and also on the bottom of the grip. ASMs were never up to Uberti standards but for the most part they were quite serviceable revolvers and responded well to a tuneup. Where they really got their bad reputation was from the cartridge conversion revolvers they produced just before gong out of business. While some of those were fine functioning guns others were too small for a boat anchor and too large for a paperweight.

I wish mine was a square back but I do have a 6" Wells Fargo by Marco that is. BTW the only manufacturer's mark on either is the small MARCO on the frame.
The serial numbers on this one (1767) are in the same locations you mention, but that's it for markings. I've been over it with a magnifying glass and there's just nothing there.

I am skeptical of ASM products as they’ve earned a bad reputation it seems. Some seem to be outstanding though. I don’t mind gambling but not with something like that.

View attachment 21433
I have an older ASM 1851 and 1860, and they are very nice quality. Guns of the Old West magazine mentioned also some time back, parts interchange with Uberti, pretty much. The 80 mile drive is a long one, these are shippable via non-USPS, but convincing the shipper is something else! looks like a good buy.

The very first C&B revolver I traded for when I was 17 was a Colt's 1849 pocket model identical to the OP's gun but mine had a 6" barrel. It was great fun to shoot and I used buckshot for balls and hog grease for lube. A can of 3fg was about $5.50 IIRC. I went to Georgia to work on a farm when I was 18, when I came home a few months later, Dad had suffered a dry spell and had sold my pistol for whiskey money. I wanted another one but never got one; Many other models came along, more powerful and useful in the woods. But you never forget your first love.

Columbus,

At first I was thinking a Kit Gun, but did ASM put their marks on kits, just not the Date Code. What's the chance somebody defarbed this thing?

AntiqueSledMan.

Back