• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Asking for Powder Charge Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenprops1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just acquired this Pedersoli, 45 caliber, flintlock, smooth bore, 11 inch barrel pistol. The owner's manual does not give a recommended powder charge. I plan to use .440 and .445 size patched round balls. I was thinking a charge of GOEX FFF powder between 20 to 40 grains might work. I am asking for suggestions. Thank you, in advance.
Pedersoli Continental Target PISTOL.jpeg

The rule of thumb is number or grains equals one half the caliber for muzzle loading handguns. A .45 caliber would use ~22 grains of 3f. A .50 caliber would use ~25 grains.
For long guns the rule of thumb is caliber equals number of grains.

I have a CVA .45 caliber percussion pistol in which I use 22 grains of 3f and a .440 patched round ball. This works good. I’ve tried 30 grains and it seemed to be too much. Didn’t help accuracy either.

They only thing I would add is to start low and work your way up unless your attempting to replicate a specific military load or something.

Best match accuracy in smooth bore pistols by those winning I have talked is 40- 45 grains in 44 cal. My Lepage Flint Smooth bore barrel started decent groups at 40gn. Did not bother finishing my match prep due to the unpleasant recoil so I skip the smooth bore match. Just no fun getting smacked that hard over and over.Pedersoli makes that C. Moore in a rifled barrel. About 14gn. will give you match winning accuracy at 25yd and about 17gn at 50yd ...c

Great question and anwers. The chart from Pedersoli is fantastic, thanks Rudall for pointing it out. I have been on that website numerous times but was unaware of the Suggested Loads Chart. I also have 2 rifles on that list and I learned I am at max and over max with them. Good info....

OP - good luck with that beautiful pistol.

I have a 45 caliber Kentucky pistol. I load 35 grains of 3f Old Ensyford with the patched 440 ball and a thin .010 cotton patch. This seems to be the most accurate load for my pistol. I've gone as low as 20 and up to 40 grains but the 35 grain load is just right.

Between 20-40gr FFF is a good range.

I have a 50 caliber pistol with a 12" barrel that I use for deer hunting. I use a charge of 50gr FFF and a Hornady Pa Conical that weighs 240 gr.. This load gives me a MV of 939fps and at 50 yards calculates to be 844fps. The 50 yards is the maximum range I would attempt a shot....and that's after much, much pre-season practice shooting.

FWIW

All the smoothbore shooters a Friendship I know use 45 to 50 grains Swiss 3F. To a person they all wear a glove when shooting their smoothbores.

I just acquired this Pedersoli, 45 caliber, flintlock, smooth bore, 11 inch barrel pistol. The owner's manual does not give a recommended powder charge. I plan to use .440 and .445 size patched round balls. I was thinking a charge of GOEX FFF powder between 20 to 40 grains might work. I am asking for suggestions. Thank you, in advance.View attachment 73520
Of course, you could send it to me, and I’ll be happy to work up the optimal load for you. Should only take a year or two to make absolutely certain! 😉
Jay

I want to thank all of you guys for your input. This is one of the reasons I like this forum. We all help each other and offer to do this for each other. As for Jay Templin, I really appreciate your wanting to to work up a good load for me. I just can't bring myself to burden you with that responsibility, --- Thanks again everybody.

I want to thank all of you guys for your input. This is one of the reasons I like this forum. We all help each other and offer to do this for each other. As for Jay Templin, I really appreciate your wanting to to work up a good load for me. I just can't bring myself to burden you with that responsibility, --- Thanks again everybody.
I've never seen anyone tell someone else to "get bent" in a nicer way. 👏

wm

I've got a Hawken styled .54 pistol with an 8-inch barrel and it likes 25 grains of 3Fg behind a patched .535" round ball. Shoots clover-leafs with that load at 25 yards -- if I hold it steady. Seems to me that every barrel has it's own preference.

I have an old cva .45 pistol that I put about 20 grns of 3f in with a prb. I just shoot it for fun at about15 to 25 yards sometimes. That load shoots ok and destroys the tin cans that it hits. It's just a fun gun.

Latest posts

Back