• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Asking for experienced advice on revolver wear n tear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it Carry Up and Time properly now?

That looks like simply fitting variance for mass produced repro revolvers by Uberti. The steel used for the cylinders and barrels is very mild.

I peened the bullet cutout on my Walker by just using a brass punch to gently tap to try to get it unassembled.

It's one of those things that may just wear to a point and then stop.

Well used modern revolvers get preening at the stop notches and it kinda just happens then stops. Same with flame cutting.

Uberti sells most of its revolvers to people who will shoot 50 rounds a year through them , so they don't have to worry about many complaints.

Cimarron costs more because they sell Uberti revolvers that are fitted and finished better , the cost gets passed on to the consumer . I've seen it, my Cimarron Uberti Walker has a better action, better fitting and better attention to prepping and polishing the steel prior to bluing , because Cimarron caters more to CAS and SASS shooters . That's why some of the cap and ballers cost $100 more

I am the owner of a Uberti 44 cal Remington 1858. It shoots and functions just fine, now! I was planning on taking the pistol to a BP shoot in two weeks, but question what I see after an inspection of the gun.
Forgive my lack of proper technological terms: The indexing cones at the wide part are chewed out, I assume from the indexing lever/tooth. Questions: Is the cylinder getting close to rotation failure via hammer draw back?
Are there safety issues I might not be thinking of? How do the big boys repair this?:dunno:
Thanks in advance!
Larry

View attachment 85808
I don't believe you need a new cylinder or need to weld it. Don't peen back the chewed up metal but rather diamond lap off the puckered steel on the ratchet face flush with the original surface and work over the nose shape of the hand and fit it to drop to the bottom of the ratchet notch and I bet it will work fine for as long as you care to shoot it.
If you take a close look as Phils cylinder in the picture you will notice the blue gone on the ratchet seat bottom near the wall. That indicates the hand nose is hitting bottom of the notch and has full purchase on the notch wall to advance the cylinder.

Latest posts

Back