• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Asking again. Best load for a .50 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATROD56

40 Cal
Reaction score
Im sorry, I know I've asked this before but, I can't find the thread so I am asking again. What is the best load for target shooting a .50cal Hawken, .490 ball, Pyrodex FFG & .015 patch? 75 grains? Again, sorry to repeat a question.

Rat. as always each rifle likes its own recipe. i have 4 Hawkens 2 50's and 2 54's
my 50's like 95g ffg with the 490 and 015 patch. shoots better than i can. let me say though , that is 95g of my own blackpowder. i haven't used commercial bp in years. just play with it in 5 grain increments.

I've done 75 & 80 grains. Wasn't sure where the line between safe and dangerous was.

My most accurate load in the CVA Mountain rifle is .490, .10 patch cut at muzzle, 90gr FFg Goex, and moose milk spray for patch lube. If I can see the 4" gong at 100yds, it rings. Misses are usually attributable to needing another spray of target paint.

My most accurate load in the CVA Mountain rifle is .490, .10 patch cut at muzzle, 90gr FFg Goex, and moose milk spray for patch lube. If I can see the 4" gong at 100yds, it rings. Misses are usually attributable to needing another spray of target paint.
I haven't used Goex, is it better than Pyrodex or about the same?

Each rifle has it's own "sweet spot" for powder charges to give the best accuracy. All you can do is try some and see what is best for grouping. That is one thing about this game you never know until you try!

I haven't used Goex, is it better than Pyrodex or about the same?
Pyrodex is harder to ignite; with the offset nipple blast, it is not a sure thing. I have had to go so far as to open the drum access screw and add 4gr of FFFFg under the nipple to get things going. I don't buy pyrodex anymore. My residual pyrodex gets used up by dropping half the 90gr charge as holy black FFG first then the second half as pyrodex. No failures that way and it cuts down on holy black consumption. Have about 3 more pyrodex rs bottles to get through.

Last edited:
I think issues with Pyrodex not going off is related to some guns and the design of the channel from nipple to main charge. I've had very few issues with a TC Hawken percussion regardless of the type of cap used. Some of the breech designs such as the CVA may give more issues. I don't use Pyrodex much any more simply because I have plenty of black powder.

Im sorry, I know I've asked this before but, I can't find the thread so I am asking again. What is the best load for target shooting a .50cal Hawken, .490 ball, Pyrodex FFG & .015 patch? 75 grains? Again, sorry to repeat a question.
You can buy ten exact same make and model rifles. Each one of them will have a different load, powder patch combo preference. Same with modern rifles and different types of ammo. You have to make the time to experiment to find the load that suits your rifle.

When you start a thread you should make a better title as to what you want. Makes it easier to find later. I've answered threads myself only to think of something to add later and have trouble or can't find it again.

You have to spend time at the range to find the best load. IDK what the max load suggested is for your rig but you could research it to know for sure.
Do some 5 shot groups at various ranges. Start with 60 grains of powder, then go up 10 grains. Repeat until you find the sweet spot. For my own 50 caliber rifle, I found that 80 grains of 3f Old Ensyford with a patched round ball, .018" dry pillow ticking patch that I lube with good old spit works good for me.

You might as well ask a driver about Fords or Chevys. Or a lover about blondes or brunettes. I have four 50 caliber rifles. Three flint, one percussion (may the good Lord forgive me.) My primary gun I shoot in matches uses 70 grains FFFG with a patched .490 round ball and a patch lubed with (gasp!) Naturalube 1000 or equivalent. The cap lock likes 90 grains Triple 7 powder. I chose the 70 grain load for the flintlock as a hunting load, it just happens to group like five teenagers; close and tight. Your gun will tell you what it likes, if you offer it to the various options. No one else's load is right for your gun, except by happy circumstance.

ADK Bigfoot

It's the one that requires effort on your part. It's the one that YOUR gun likes that meets YOUR criteria for acceptable accuracy and velocity with your lube, ball, patch, primer and bullet seating pressure.

Back