• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ash for gunstock wood?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How is ash for a gunstock? I did a search, not much was turned up. Someone asked if it made the gun heavy, but the question was never answered. Are there any problems with it? I have a knife with an ash handle and that is about as much experience with that type of wood as I have

Not any heavier than maple & at times lighter. If not, all the wooden baseball bats would have been made from maple. If you have an old Louisville Slugger bat in the basement, I guarantee you it is made of Ash. I have a stock I am making into a Tenn, it is about 3 rifles deep. Should make a dandy as it is the most consistently stripped ash stock I have ever seen.
Curly ash makes some pretty gunstocks. Doesn't seem to stain as dark as maple will, looks allot like Oak as far as the grain looks.

Here is a photo of one of several curly ash blanks I have. The one I am going to build next has allot more & closer curl than this one, but this one is pretty nice as well.

IMG_2193.jpg

I have built a couple ash stocked guns. Exceptionally hard and will wear you out shaping it. It doesn't hold carving well in the porous areas.

I needs to be a premium cut of Ash or it will be porous and brittle at the end grain.

Otherwise, Ash is considered somewhat exotic today, and is mostly available in dowel form for tool handles and pool sticks. Gunstocks in ash are very nice looking with the wavy grain patterns.

On the wood hardness scale, ash is pretty tough.

As was stated, because of the open and strong-grained nature of it, it's not that great of a carving wood if you are planning on intricately carved details. Ash is also a rather "bendy" and flexible wood, which will put the wrist less in danger of breaking the way other woods some times do. It CAN however make for some very pretty gun stocks.

Latest posts

Back