• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Artillery Live Fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave951

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok guys, for those who looovvveee the big bang and clouds of smoke, we're going to have our National competition again on 18-22 May in Winchester VA. This ain't a reenactment, no siree, it's full on, competition live fire. Part of what we shoot are Civil War small arms, but the rest, well, it's guns, howitzers and mortars! All with live fire. Visitors are welcome and entry is free. As to whether or not your wallet will survive unscathed on Sutler Row is up to you.

So a bit of video is in order

Mortar fun!

Artillery fun! And yup, the guns do recoil-

And a general overview from Scheutzen powder. I'm in this one but just one of a cast of thousands. It has shots of pretty much all of a N-SSA Nationals including Sutler Row. Thanks to Tambi at Scheutzen for the video production!

And yes, I'm on a gun crew. We compete with a 6lb rifled howitzer. I'm in the Glengarry on Position 2. My oldest son, newly retired from the USAF is on Position 1. The gun is a full size howitzer of a type used by cavalry in rough terrain. Note the "arched" item over the trunnions. It's vital piece of kit that isn't original to the period. It's a level to ensure the gun is level each time we return it to battery after each shot. Being in level is critical to accuracy.
SAM_0434.JPG

Our gun captain taking final aim.
SAM_0445.JPG

And X RING!! Perfect shot.
SAM_0452.JPG

Check out Relay 2 being staged for a National competition. The artillery match is shot in 2 relays of about 15-20 guns each. You don't see this much live fire Civil War artillery being shot live anywhere else in the country.
IMG_20211002_101147.jpg

That was absolutely amazing! I have never been to a big event like one of those. I think I need to try and schedule some of those in over the next couple of years. Hopefully events like these will begin to draw younger folks into the mix. As a young boy just being allowed to fire a few black powder percussion pistols here and there had me hooked for life. I can't imagine having an opportunity to be around something like that. Thanks so much for posting this.

I'll be there! My first and really looking forward to it.

Look me up, I'm with the Palmetto Sharpshooters Co B. We camp on the summit of Heart Attack Hill where the loop road makes a 90deg turn by the bathhouse.

I once was a part of the N-SSA, my sig name was my rank. One year, there was a special "night shoot" with the cannons. Targets were illuminated with flares. Each cannon fired in total darkness at their target. That was a light show. I still have my Enfield musketoon. Sold my P-H three band. Bought them both from Navy Arms booth on site. Still have my uniform with the chevrons. Good friend retired from N-SSA as one of the provost.

where can one learn more about this wonderful sport?
Like Hawkeye said, follow the link. Be warned, it's the crack pipe of black powder shooting. One hit and you're hooked. There's no shooting sport like it nor as much fun!! 😁😁😁

Yeah cannons are fun just be careful they are not the same as shooting a regular muzzleloader. Any excess pressure and you could be playing with a pipe bomb. Do not patch the ball trying to get accuracy. You need to have wiggle room aka “windage”, also do not pack a blank load with a wad of wet newspaper or anything, again excess pressures bad juju.

I did just order some cannon grade goex from Back Creek Gun Shop about a month ago and some friction primers. So they were in stock then. Friction primers had gone up to $1.50 each but site did not reflect that. Fyi

Ok guys, for those who looovvveee the big bang and clouds of smoke, we're going to have our National competition again on 18-22 May in Winchester VA. This ain't a reenactment, no siree, it's full on, competition live fire. Part of what we shoot are Civil War small arms, but the rest, well, it's guns, howitzers and mortars! All with live fire. Visitors are welcome and entry is free. As to whether or not your wallet will survive unscathed on Sutler Row is up to you.

So a bit of video is in order

Mortar fun!

Artillery fun! And yup, the guns do recoil-

And a general overview from Scheutzen powder. I'm in this one but just one of a cast of thousands. It has shots of pretty much all of a N-SSA Nationals including Sutler Row. Thanks to Tambi at Scheutzen for the video production!

And yes, I'm on a gun crew. We compete with a 6lb rifled howitzer. I'm in the Glengarry on Position 2. My oldest son, newly retired from the USAF is on Position 1. The gun is a full size howitzer of a type used by cavalry in rough terrain. Note the "arched" item over the trunnions. It's vital piece of kit that isn't original to the period. It's a level to ensure the gun is level each time we return it to battery after each shot. Being in level is critical to accuracy.
View attachment 138413

Our gun captain taking final aim.
View attachment 138414

And X RING!! Perfect shot.
View attachment 138415

Check out Relay 2 being staged for a National competition. The artillery match is shot in 2 relays of about 15-20 guns each. You don't see this much live fire Civil War artillery being shot live anywhere else in the country.
View attachment 138416

Nice posting! I guess these men don't have any trouble getting BP? Or, caps for the musket/pistol competition? Surely Mr. Smithgall and pals will be there, from PA?

I spent twelve years in the N-SSA and it was some of the most fun I have ever had shooting. Nothing like being awakened by the sound of a canon going off.

ADK Bigfoot

Nice posting! I guess these men don't have any trouble getting BP? Or, caps for the musket/pistol competition? Surely Mr. Smithgall and pals will be there, from PA?
Yup, yup and yup. Don't know what Charlie is bringing this year but he always wins the cool category. Last Nationals he brought a 30lb Parrot siege gun. It made all the field artillery look like pop guns

Back