• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

art grade flintlock long rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not ready to buy a real fancy longrifle, but something I may be willing to save up for. I know that artists and great craftsman have been building these fancy "art grade" rifles since the Golden Age. Are they that rare, that you don't see them for sale? Am I not looking in the right place? For me, it would need to be an investment. Is my budget of $2,500 realistic? Anyway, I love the fine rifle's I have owned for many years, but I don't have anything fancy. I would want one that was previously loved. Any ideas and auction sites are welcome. Thanks!

I've found it very easy to locate beautiful work of art level flintlock rifles and wheellock hunting guns over the years. My main difficulty smacks me right there in the chops when I realise that paying for even one is way beyond my means.

My one and only foray into collectable long rifles lasted just under a year, when my ultra-rare Peter Gonter PA long rifle - subject of a long search and much wheedling - was stolen right off the display stand at a gun show.

I was too disheartened to ever repeat the experience.

Good luck, OP. There is no shortage of beautiful guns out there in the $5,000 -10,000 range. $3000? Hmmmm, not so sure.

That's a great budget. You can buy a beautiful rifle for that amount, but maybe without much carving or inlays. Those can always be added at a later date. Yes, there were many fine and fancy rifles built in the past. In fact, I heard on serious collector say those fancies are more available today than the plain, every day working rifle. The plain rifles were considered just tools and discarded when newer stuff came along. Fancies were kept as heritage and/or museum pieces.

Hard to say as it depends on everyone’s sense of what is an art grade rifle. There’s a lot of range between a nicely crafted, engraved and carved rifle for $3500 and a Jud Brennan and a Monte Mandarino. One could spend $12,000 on a contemporary gun. Your best deals are contemporary guns at auction.

I’ve seen contemporary masterpieces carried from show to show to show and not sell for $5500.

Plain Mandarino went for $3500 plus auction fees Contemporary Flintlock Fullstock Sporting Rifle by Monte Mandarino | Guns & Military Artifacts Flintlocks | Online Auctions | Proxibid

A high end Mandarino. $50k would almost cover it.
67090F9D-8BC3-4882-B54B-7766091D35E0.jpeg

Back