• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Arrows

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Started these the other day. Actually split the cedar and smoothed the shafts about 10 years ago.
tips are cold cut from an old buck saw blade with a tiny hand held Beverly style shear.
Moose sinew for binding and berry paints.
getting the fletching done when i get sent home from work- got called in for a “critical” task.
sZ88zZg.jpg

Hello Eggwelder, I admire your arrow work! Unfortunately, I can no longer shoot a longbow due to physical disabilities. I am thinking seriously of building a medieval style crossbow for fun and hunting, Arkansas has very liberal seasons for archery, all types, and where I live in Huntsville used to be known as the Crossbow Capital, even having competition back in the day. State law requires a safety device on the crossbow, so I'll have to figure out a medieval style gadget to comply and still be in the groove (pun intended). I will probably build a steel prodded bow for power, and use home grown quarrels. Thanks for your pictures!

FYI; Spoons make great arrow heads. Heat the spoon and flatten with large hammer or other means. Grind to shape you like. The sharpen edges. when you have the blade (on the end of the spoon handle) cut blade just above the start of the handle where the handle starts to flair wider. This you heat and flatten to fit the arrow shaft. That's one part, the arrow head. The other part is taking the handle to make a holder for strips of cotton for patching round balls. You cut the handle to a total length of 4" from the fancy end, and smooth the edges where it was cut off. Now bend back the handle end 1.5" from the end, completely 180 degrees. Go another 1' and bend back 180 degrees the other way. You insert the cut off end into a small cut in the strap of you pouch or sew it to the strap if you don't want to make a slit. If making a slit, PUNCH a small hole (with leather punch) on the ends of the slit to prevent tearing. This gives a hanger for what you need to hang. It will be as decorative as the sculpture of the spoon handle. They make great trade blanket goods or gifts for a new friend.

Nice job. I make my own arrows for targets, stumps and deer hunting . . . but not to that extent. I'm pretty much locked into Douglas fir.

I do use Broadheads that were made in 1960 and recurve bows of that era ('60 to '73) so I guess I'm more classic than traditional. ;-)

I grew up making arrows, dad would buy a few cheap cedar arrows every couple of years but we`d lose or break those in no time, you tend to treat something you made with a bit more care.
we`d often strip the tips, nocks and fletching from those cheap arrows if they were salvageable.
i`ve used pine, black spruce, those green bamboo stakes from my mothers garden for arrow shafts, and even wild rose bush stems. My dad was/is protective of his Douglas fir.

Back