Arrow Sash.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I doubt it is finger woven. But, that doesn't mean it was "machine made." More likely hand made on a loom of some type.

The experts will chime in eventually.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got it from a Canadian antique vendor out of Vancouver. Other than being Canadian made they didn't have much more info on it.

sawyer04

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I will vote for a loom weave, but by no means lessen it's age. Looms have been around for centuries, a French man, Jacquard, is credited with inventing the weaving loom early 19th century.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What nice about it is it's long and wide enough to wrap tight and will hold a pistol or knife in place nicely.

kje54

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I got this arrow sash yesterday it's 6"x 9' I'm pretty sure it's wool but I'm not sure if it was finger woven or machine made but it's nice either way.
I have little doubt it's wool and the tradition of hand weaving Arrow (Assomption) Sashes in many parts of Canada to this day gives it a equal chance that it's not machine/loom woven but finger woven.
Unfortunately there's always the chance it is made in China, they do have a market for them with some festivals in Canada, the Bonhomme Carnaval and Manitoba's Festival du Voyageur, etc where people don't want to spend the money on the hand or loom woven ones. Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Nice find though, hope you enjoy it.

Tallswife

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is that it is wool and it is finger woven. If you look at the end where your knots are, you see the threads coming in to that point on an angle, that is indicitave of finger weaving. You dont see the angle like that on an inkle or other type of loom.

Very nice piece.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is that it is wool and it is finger woven. If you look at the end where your knots are, you see the threads coming in to that point on an angle, that is indicitave of finger weaving. You dont see the angle like that on an inkle or other type of loom.

Very nice piece.
I watch a video of an older Canadian lady that was finger weaving one that looked very much like this one. As she was weaving she explained the process and the different patterns that were used in Canada.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I also learned a few things from that video that I didn't know, the sashes weren't just worn for looks or to hold weapons. The voyageurs used them as back braces when carrying heavy loads to help prevent hernias and back problems.

oreclan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a sash and two legging ties in the 1970s that look just like these. I thought they were cotton, but may be wrong. They were from an Iroquois company in upstate New York along with a black false face bolo tie. Still have them.
I have over the years bought finger woven, wool legging ties and powder horn straps from Nathan Kobuck and they are nothing alike. The NY "sashes" are of very fine threads and appear to be machine or loom woven.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You can pretty much tell this one is wool by rubbing it on your skin. it has that itchy feeling of wool.

oreclan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The sash and garters I wear in this photo are the ones I bought from an Iroquois merchant in upstate New York many years ago.1620142728480.png
1620142728480.png

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
thank you for the reply- they are JUST KILLER!!

Latest posts