Quantcast

Arms used by Patriots in South Carolina.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Kmcmichael

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings esteemed history buffs
I am curious as to the typical arms used by the troops of Generals Sumpter and Marion. I had an ancestor that served with Sumpter and likely one that served with Marion.
It seems unlikely that one was issued.

What say ye?

Magungo1066

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Francis Marion operated on and around my family farm in SC. His men were lots of poor farmers and such, and mostly had lots of smoothbores. However, there were undoubtedly rifles used as well, by those men who could afford them.

Kmcmichael

32 Cal
Reaction score
We get the impression that Sumpter was much more conventional in his tactics and Marion more the gorilla tactician. I suspect this is from movies.
Once I thought my 3rd great served served at Kings Mountain but have since lost or misplaced any proof of that. I do have his receipt for him losing his horse at Fish Dam.

Flintlock

40 Cal
Reaction score
Closer to the coast you would most likely see a lot of personal owned fowlers and a smattering of older military type smoothbores but the farther inland you go you would see more and more rifle guns. Just my opinion.

Flintlock

40 Cal
Reaction score
I would imagine some of the loyalist would have been supplied with older British muskets with the rest bringing fowlers and a few rifles, where as the farther west the overmountain men came from they would mostly be carrying their hunting rifles with a few smoothbores thrown in.

Kmcmichael

32 Cal
Reaction score
Further research has shown that I did not have a identifiable ancestor with Marion but two, a father and son that served in the SC Militia that year. They lived within walking distance of King’s Mountain. People of that are could have had anything.