• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

armisport 1861

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
big ol .58 musket on the way.
owners, looking for feed back on likes/dislikes.
what you feed the rascal ect.
some say these rifles like the .578 lee soup can mold [target minie]
need lube suggestions. i like the lyman molds myself.
want to get into skirmishing eventually.
any help is greatly appreciated gents. :grin:

The bore sizes on these are all over the place, you will need to measure it. Mine doesn't shoot the Lee.578 well at all, so far mine works best with a Hodgdon .580. To be honest I haven't shot it much in quite a while, been fooling with a Zoli Zouave and an 1862 Springfield.

tried a Blue/Gray, lyman PH, Lyman old, Rapine 460 gr in mine...no luck.
I finally had to let the bugger go. I had over .580 barrel and couldn't find anything that worked.

chopper said:
big ol .58 musket on the way.
owners, looking for feed back on likes/dislikes.
what you feed the rascal ect.
some say these rifles like the .578 lee soup can mold [target minie]
need lube suggestions. i like the lyman molds myself.
want to get into skirmishing eventually.
any help is greatly appreciated gents. :grin:

Beware - the only one I know of here is .590".

tac

The Zouave design is a fine example of battle rifle design from that day and age. I had an Armisport Zouave that was a great rifle except for my purposes; the sights were battle sights, perfectly suited to hitting someone between cap and crouch. Windage was dead on. I just couldn't solve my problem of how to make the elevation work for me. And, it was my problem not the rifle. Rather than alter the rifle I ended up selling it. By the way, it had a true .58" bore.
I have an Armisport Fremont as well and it too is a fine rifle.

My bore is a tad on the large side, .582 if I remember correctly, the larger the bore the fewer your choices for minies. Mine was getting pretty respectable with the .580's, suppose I need to get it out again! The trigger pull was pretty stout, I had to work on that a bit.

thanks to all. my son and i will be joining the 2nd wi vol inf this spring and shooting skirmish.
sounds like a blast. one of the guys from the group is going to help us get outfitted with uniforms, molds ect.
i have the info from the prior owner as to what the rifle likes so that is good. lee ash can mold .578 dia with 40 grs of fff.
will go from there and do some testing.
thanks again all. :thumbsup:

my 61 likes this mold also sized to 580. powder charge.42 grn 3fffg goex or diamond back or 38 of swiss.
tried the trash can a few times. it's ok for the stake event. But out side of that I see it as just extra lead down range also needed 48 of 3fffg to get it to work in mine. Plus not a fan of the lee minnie molds anyway.
If you get the RCBS Hodgens get the deep base plug. several of the suttlers have them. Northeast trader for one. mold can be had up to .584. North east also makes sizers.

thankyou. i'm not fond of lee molds either, take a lyman anyday. have to do some experimenting.
somebody send me some minie's please! :surrender:

Latest posts

Back