• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Armi San Marco (ASM) replacement nipples?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read here that 'factory nipples' are not good; I have an unfired ASM M1851 Navy, real nice pistol. Should I order new nipples for it, if so, what kind? And what dealer? I'm impressed with some of the comments knowledgeable percussion pistol shooters have posted here. My gun is an EMF 'Hartford Model' from the early '90's. Thanks!

I have the same revolver. "Hartford Model"....

Funny thing, The dang thing shoots exceptionally well and goes off every time I pull the trigger. I got really good with it. I few years back I was shooting everyday (morning) like Hickock.

Now wouldn't you know it I find out it's no good. My bad luck I guess.:doh:;)

Some factory nipples are sized for a #10 cap. When #10 caps are hard to find and a #11 cap is loose, there is a higher probability of a chain fire. In that case a #11 nipple is the better choice. For most revolvers the #10 Remington cap is the best fit as it is slightly longer and fully covers the cone of the revolver nipple. With Remington caps in short supply, that leaves #11 caps as the available choice.

So once again I make my case for having a digital Vernier caliper. Acceptable accuracy is seen in the affordable calipers from Harbor Freight or Frankford Arsenal. #10 nipples will measure about 0.156" at the tip. #11 nipples will measure 0.165" at the tip. You need to measure the cone height and overall length. Then its time to make a selection or not for replacement nipples.

Slixshot nipples have a good reputation. I prefer to make my choice for replacement nipples from the selection offered by Track of the Wolf.

I have the same revolver. "Hartford Model"....

Funny thing, The dang thing shoots exceptionally well and goes off every time I pull the trigger. I got really good with it. I few years back I was shooting everyday (morning) like Hickock.

Now wouldn't you know it I find out it's no good. My bad luck I guess.:doh:;)
Thank You! As I said, I hadn't fired it yet, and always read how guys say to replace nipples! You've saved me trouble and money trying to fix something that ain't broke! I love how you shot the darn thing every morning, just like Hickok! I knew someone on here would have an answer for me. Have a great Fall! Thanks! It is a beautiful replica, I love how it feels in the hand.

Thank You! As I said, I hadn't fired it yet, and always read how guys say to replace nipples! You've saved me trouble and money trying to fix something that ain't broke! I love how you shot the darn thing every morning, just like Hickok! I knew someone on here would have an answer for me. Have a great Fall! Thanks! It is a beautiful replica, I love how it feels in the hand.
I was on Track of the Wolf today. The do offer their #11 cap nipples for "most/some" ASM revolvers.

Latest posts

Back