• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Arkebuse Project: Part IV

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, the glue dried, and I broke out the files and rasps tonight (Thursday). Just plain elbow grease and sand paper:

HPIM3749.jpg

Here's close-ups of the muzzle end:

HPIM3750.jpg

Notice where the wood has been "patched" (right hand side of the photo below):redface:

HPIM3755.jpg

Here is an overall view of the stock, and a pic of the original for comparison:

HPIM3752.jpg

FYI: The iron ball in the pic is not a cannon ball, but from a quartz mill (gold mine).

Bild.gif

The stock needs to be fine sanded and further shaped. The next part (Part V) will show the breech plug and tang, bedding the barrel, and perhaps starting on the firing mechanism.

:v

:bow: You don't know what an inspiration you are to the rest of us----it's too bad these types of posts cannot be saved and placed into a reference area on this forum---this is the third such an article which would best be archived for the future as reference for future home builders. I presume some of the others during this past year are in electronic purgatory. That's a shame. Makes me wish I lived in the Wisconsin "Early Firearms" hot bed. Unfortunately the "left coast" is not my jigger of Irish whiskey, but as our kids used to say "I'll be your friend." :hatsoff:

Awsome work, but I got to know how you did the breech plug. I could not find it in any of the other parts?

I have not done the breech plug yet. The breech plug will be from a steel bolt. I'll post photos of the whole process of tapping, threading, and welding on a tang ... :v

Sweet. I am glad that ypou are putting all of this in the forum and taking lots of photos, because I really intend to steal all your ideas and make one of my own.

I am allways amazed at the people here whom have the talent to do this, and have allways learned from you all.

Koodos to you :bow:

Wow. That is some amazing work. Unfortunately I just joined the list, so I have my doubts about finding the rest of these posts. :( Would it be possible to get the pics and info in one file sent to me via email? I and a few friends are planning on building a few this summer, and it seams as though I have been given the task of doing all the research. Your work would be vary useful.

Frost

Well. here the link that started this whole thing:
[url] http://raabs.homepage.t-online.de/[/url]

Go to that page, click on Luntenschloss

Then, click on the matchlock photo directly under Arkebuse von etwa 1525.

Hope that helps,
CP

Last edited by a moderator:
For a year or 2 I've wanted to have a bash at a snapping matchlock, stocked something like this, or maybe with a rifled bore and a cheek stock.
Do you know of any pics of original snapping mechanisms?
I sort of have it figured out how to work, but would like to make it Look like it should, too!
Thanks for sharing the work in - progress, I always think of 'before and after'.......after!

Look forward to your updates!!

Pukka.

No..not finished yet...I'll post again soon.

Things have been slow, due to LOTS of Boy Scout outings, camp, etc.

:v

Back