• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Arkebuse project: Part II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Next, it was time to route the ramrod channel. Notice how the ramrod is visable on the original.

Bild6.gif

The channel was routed by using a 1/4 bit..MULTIPLE PASSES, deeper each time..until I reached the desired depth. Then I used a 3/8 dia. router bit with a rounded end to make the hole for the ramrod. I ran a 3/8 drill welded to a rod down the channel to make sure that it was round and cleaned out.

HPIM3733.jpg

Here is a close-up of the muzzle end:

HPIM3731.jpg

Then, using the 1/4 bit, I also routed the length of the barrel channel to the full depth (again, multiple passes, deeper each time). Then, again using multiple passes, I used the full-size 1/2 round. I also routed the breech end a bit deeper, as the barrel I am using flares at the breech. As I plan to use bedding compound, I was not too concerned about taking a wee bit much away.

HPIM3736.jpg

Here is the barrel in the rough stock:

HPIM3744.jpg

I also cut the barrel to length and polished with wet/dry sandpaper. Note how the shotgun barrel has a flat side. I will weld the pan to this surface.

HPIM3737.jpg

Next up, I will rough contour the stock, thread the barrel for the breechplug, and then perhaps glass bed the barrel.

See you in a week or so... :v

Cowhornboy,
Wait a minute! You're working on this in the kitchen? :shocked2: Man, my hat is off to you, hee, hee! :bow: No, I realize you might only be taking the pics there. :grin: :rotf: Thanks for the pictures.
God bless.
volatpluvia

What's wrong with working in the kitchen? Years ago, when I was a teenager and living alone, I would rebuild my motorcycles in the kitchen. Today, being married, I would suffer a long and lingering death to even think of such a folly. Women just don't get it.

CP

Yes, my friends, there truly are things painfully wrong with working in the kitchen. It's called "YOU'RE BUYING ME A NEW KITCHEN TABLE 'CAUSE I"M NOT EATING OFF A TABLE WITH TWO DRILL HOLES IN IT!" Bin there, dun that. :( Bookomundo the Wiser

Well, I gotta admit...the kitchen counter is the only place free of stuff where I can take a pic or two. Plus, them stone countertops are impervious to most paints, stains, etc (of course, momma is usually not home when THAT is happening. :redface:

Besides...it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission... :shake: :nono:

:v

Claypipe, Bookie, Cowhornboy,
My dad desparately wanted to set up his carving shop. He made dozens, maybe hundreds of modern gunstocks. But he wanted a better bench and where it was warm on cold winter evenings. Soooo, He built a workbench of largish size and put it (a sharp intake of breath here) in the sitting room! Not the living room,but the room where meals were shared and company set around to jaw for the evening. I don't recall a large protest from mom, but I do know he told this is what he was doing whether she liked it or not. Many was the evening or Saturday when the old lad carved and visited with family at that workbench. It all seemed to work out well. When he retired he built in the front porch and put it out there. He carved until one week before he died at age 83 years and six months. I don't think anyone, including he, knows exactly what all he carved. Through three tourist shops his carvings are all over the world. Quite a legacy, like all artists he wanted to leave a large body of works behind.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Do you by any chance have photos? Him, his bench, his work? Memories like that are worth a lot.

Thanks Guys,
For the kind words. It is a cherished memory. I might have some pics of his work. I know we were given a box when mom left this earth. I'll have to see what I can dig out. I know I get my urge to create from them both.
God bless.
volatpluvia

WRussel,
It took me a day or two to remember that I have one of his tables in my living room.
Here is a picture of the top. This is one of his earlier, pre-retirement pieces.
IMG_0589.jpg

Here is a pic of the whole table showing the tilt top mechanism.
IMG_0590.jpg

Dad was helping install furniture, some of the fanciest of which he had made himself, in a church in Philadelphia. The church had been built around 1900 AD. There was a pile of oak that had been torn out to make way for the renovations. They told him in response to his inquiry that they were going to trash it. He asked and was granted favor to salvage some of it. This table is the result. So the table is maybe 35 years in existence but the wood has served to provide beauty for humans now for more than 100 years.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Sorry, Squire Robin,
We got a bit off topic there. :nono: And a lot of it was my fault. :redface:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Very nice table its nice to be able to have some thing that your father made he had some real talent :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back