• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Arkebuse project and challenge!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Remember this arkebuse?

Bild.gif

Here is a link to the original link on this site:

Link

Well, me and my pops (aka rabbitears) are gonna build a pair..and we're gonna document the steps the best we can. I also would like to see others follow along and try their hand at this project. No guarantees on how long it's going to take (work, Scoouting, family, band practice, etc), but as we progress, we'll post photos showing our work. I will also show all our mistakes and missteps. :redface: :shake:

First off, I made a full size paper template, so that I can band saw the stock:

IMG_0940.jpg

The barrel is also in the photo. It is a .68 caliber LC Smith blank available from Numrich/ Gunparts for less than $15. Hopefully, I'll have the stock bandsawed this weekend,and I will also start on the breech plug.

:v

as we progress, we'll post photos showing our work

:grin: Keep us posted; I think I've been bitten by the bug. I've started constructing a lock similar to the one you posted pictures of back in December (the one with the oak stock ,total cost $ 45.00) I most likly will PM you from time to time asking for advice if that's OK with you.
Soggy

just how long is the gun template? could you send me a copy of the template? Iam cosidering to build this gun also.. Chuck

Way cool, Charlie!! :thumbsup: I'm really looking forward to seeing those photos. Glad you're going to start taking them early on and not well into the project like I did. Explain the mechanism that fires the gun? Good luck!! Bookie

This may be easier to follow if you go to the original link and look at the photos of the disassembled "lock."

If you look at the template photo, you see a round button. It is attached to a long flexible metal bar that had a teat that protudes through the lockplate (it is not shown on the template...the small rectangular piece you see on the lockplate functions as a stop for the long tail on the hammer/dog and to hold the plate in place. The hammer/dog is moved into cocked position, which then presses it against the long external spring. As you move the hammer into cocked position, you would depress the button, and release it when the long tail of the hammer is past the teat. When you release the button, the the teat protrudes through the lock plate. This holds the hammer in the cocked position until ready to fire.

What intrigues me is that it would take nothing more than regular bench tools to make this design...no fancy cams, levers, etc. :v

PS: For those of you who haven't seen my other projects here and in the cannon forum, I possess no special skills, training, or tools, and I try to make my projects with scrounged materials (OK...I'll admit it...I'm cheap!) :redface:

I am posting this project from beginning to end to hopefully inspire a few others to try their hand at such a project. :v

Charlie, you're my kinda guy! I like "cheap". Freebie is a real nice word, too. Tusind tak for the explanation about the lock. I must digest this slowly to absorb it all. Now it looks as if I'll need to go forge a barrel to make me one of these critters. This Preflintlock gang is ruining a perfectly good business for me. I been buildiing East tennessee hog rifles for half my life and now I want to go in the shop and play hand gonne and the like! :winking: Cheers, Bookie

Ok...today was a productive day, as I got the stock bandsawed out of a "scrap" of cherry (yes, cherry!!).

First, I decided to saw it out at my friend George's house (his saw is always set up).

Here is the template on the wood:

IMG_0970.jpg

George took a knife to my template and cut away the barrel, as to better see the stock contour only.

IMG_0985.jpg

The wood was cut (that's George):

IMG_0986.jpg

Here is the bandsawed stock:

IMG_0987.jpg

Now, here is where I "cheated" a bit. Look at the close-up below, and note the orange colored section on the template:

IMG_0988.jpg

The part of the stock behind the breech is a seperate piece of wood that will be glued on after the barrel channel is routed out. As the wood is matched in grain, it will not show. If I had kept it attached, I would have had to do quite a bit of carving.

Next...breech plug! :v

Latest posts

Back