• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Area of Livingston, Texas ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Anyone here from or in the area around Livingston, Texas?
I might have a job opportunity there and have questions about the area. It would be great to get out of the People's Republic of Connecticut but it has to be the right move.

Can't say much about the area of Texas your looking at but my wife and I left Connecticut last year. We moved to the southeastern part of Oklahoma. Best thing we ever did.

Hi Brokennock,
I live in the area, just past the upper end of the lake.
Howie1968 lives in Lufkin, just a little north of Livingston.
Been living here on my small farm for the last 15 years and been around this area all my life.
What would you like to know about the area?
PM me as I can answer from work during the day.
Sam A.

Last edited:
Some of my friends growing up were Alabama Coushatta Indians. They had a reservation near Livingston and Woodville. They kept lots of natural forest on their land. They held white animals as sacred. I have a farrier's rasp I won in a blacksmith competition near Livingston about 35 years ago.

Is there any/much public land available to hunt? If so, is it highly pressured and crowded? What are bag limits like? Any restrictions on deer, such as buck only or antler size requirements when shooting a buck? Small game? Turkeys?
Obviously I'll be looking to find out what taxes are like, though I can't imagine they'd be as bad, and certainly not worse, than here. Cost of living? Property costs/values?

Game regulations, fees, restrictions, and access can be found on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.
There is a reasonable fee for access to state owned land, info also on the website.
There is also national forests close by.
Hunting pressure is generally first couple of weekends and how far you are willing to travel on foot. Lots of acreage.
Land prices around $2000/acre and up depending on location.

I lived there for good while n had my bowshop n controlled burning business there as well as bought timber. There are antler restrictions, Sam Houston n Davy Crockett NWT forest not far away. Sam Houston gets good bit of traffic Davy not as much but still a lot! Lake Livingston has good cat fishing n white bass fishing but a lot won’t eat fish out of it as considered Dallas toilet!, everything they flush comes down river. You can’t shoot on Sam unless hunting or at shooting range, just plinking get you a ticket. Not gonna find many turkeys in east tx can go out west for Rios, tons of hogs. There are better places than Livingston within driving distance, woodville colmesneil Camden Chester way more rural. Livingston has lot of dope heads n thieves. I lived n Chester 5 years n much prefer it n it’s 400 person population, anything south of Livingston to Cleveland is pretty much becoming outskirts of houston

I lived there for good while n had my bowshop n controlled burning business there as well as bought timber. There are antler restrictions, Sam Houston n Davy Crockett NWT forest not far away. Sam Houston gets good bit of traffic Davy not as much but still a lot! Lake Livingston has good cat fishing n white bass fishing but a lot won’t eat fish out of it as considered Dallas toilet!, everything they flush comes down river. You can’t shoot on Sam unless hunting or at shooting range, just plinking get you a ticket. Not gonna find many turkeys in east tx can go out west for Rios, tons of hogs. There are better places than Livingston within driving distance, woodville colmesneil Camden Chester way more rural. Livingston has lot of dope heads n thieves. I lived n Chester 5 years n much prefer it n it’s 400 person population, anything south of Livingston to Cleveland is pretty much becoming outskirts of houston
Thanks. Definitely wouldn't be looking to live in Livingston directly. That is just where the hospital I might have a job opportunity with happens to be. Would like to stay within an hour of work though.

Anyone here from or in the area around Livingston, Texas?
I might have a job opportunity there and have questions about the area. It would be great to get out of the People's Republic of Connecticut but it has to be the right move.
I’m 45 minutes from you and a member of the Texas Association of Buckskinners. Livingston is a cool area in my opinion it has its good and bad spots like anywhere else

Back