• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Are you under 40?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are you under the age of 40?
If so, this topic is for you. (alone)
Chime in...even if it's just with a :thumbsup:

The forum's mantra is " Keeping Tradition Alive"
"Alive" for YOU!
Chime in and be heard, I want to hear your perspectives...

Yep I'm 24 and been into muzzleloading for about 6 years and haven't carried anything but a muzzleloader for squirrel and deer for the last 3 years.

Been hooked on the flintlock for 4 years now and I can't get enough. Currently pinching pennies to buy the parts to build a nice fowler for myself. Currently have a tc hawken in .50 and loved it until I shot a buddies custom rifle now I know what I've been missing. Real close to never taking a center fire hunting again but I'm not quite there yet. I need to get a little better with the flintlock first. Once I can confidently shoot a 6in group at 100 yards from a semi supported position I don't know that I will never use smokeless powder to hunt with again.

Yessir. I wish I'd gotten into muzzleloading and living history much sooner, but, alas, any time is the right time to shoot blackpowder, right?

I suspect that younger folks will get into it eventually, after their lives calm down a bit and they get into a groove. Sort of how it happened for me, at least.

I am certainly doing what I can to get others involved, even if only by answering all their questions and welcoming them to shoot a flintlock at the range. Most are genuinely fascinated but it seems it's a bit daunting.

We'll do our best to carry it on!

I'm barely under 40 (39). Shooting traditional muzzleloaders since I was 13. Ordered a Lyman Trade Rifle from DGW since my dad wouldn't let me get a centerfire rifle. He was thinking it was sort of between the .22 I had and the 30-30 I wanted. Fooled him I guess. Remember buying blackpowder for it out the back door of the local gunsmith/gun dealer. He'd always ask me if I was going to blow up the courthouse before he'd sell it to me.

Got 2 boys now hooked on the Holy Black.

Yes, I am as well. Have been doing rendezvous since I was 13. Started really taking it all seriously about 3 years ago. Really challenging myself for my outfit and camp setup as well as shooting and hunting skills.

I've gotten about a dozen friends to go to an event to check it out, about half of them are now regulars.

A fair bit under 40, and hooked on BP, building and shooting- have been for as long as I can remember. The smokeless stuff has taken a distant back seat.

Haha that's good stuff... In my family I'm the dragger 6'2" 275lbs kinda just happens that way. Everyone makes fun of the fat kid till something heavy needs moved.

For a couple more weeks, yes. Got the bug a out 2 years ago. Wish I'd gotten it sooner.

I started shooting black powder about three years ago after a colleague took me out to shoot his T/C .54 Hawken. Soon after that I picked up my Pedersoli Kentucky and now my TVM Virginia. I couldn't be having more fun with it. I belong to a local black powder club and have been to four Rendezvous thus far. Great fun and good people.

I'm 26. I've been muzzleloading for about 6 months now, although doing things the harder way is not new; I've been shooting a recurve and/or a longbow for 10 years now. Something that a younger generation should be weary of in all traditional pursuits is developing and elitist attitude. I love to hunt with all methods and I was raised shooting and I find it disheartening to hear people around my age casting disparagements towards those who choose modern equipment.

Hey I think we would get along great.

I turn 26 tomorrow and shoot most everything but my real passions are muzzleloaders and traditional archery. I grew up around both, my dad built a 54 caliber "hawken" from a Cabela's kit when I was pretty young and I killed a deer with it two years ago. I probably pulled the trigger on my first front stuffer when I was 8 through the local 4-h shooting program and have been pretty much hooked since. Hoping to get back to working on my 45 cal flintlock again soon. I started shooting a bow basically as soon as I could walk with a little selfbow dad built out of a choke cherry branch.

Now that I have my own son I look forward to hopefully passing on the passion with his own little bow and rifle. He is only 8 months old so it will still be a little while though.

I have nothing against modern tech either and shoot my modern rifles a lot but I just seem to be reverting to the old stuff. From laminated fiberglass bows to all wood selfbows and modern rifles to percussion to flintlock. I do enjoy ribbing compound shooters about their training wheels but I also don't get all mad when they rib me about my stick and string. One thing that does bother me a little is when I see people shooting their AR's off the bench at a high rate of fire and they don't even hit the 200 yard gong once with an entire clip.

I'm not into re-enacting or rendezvous or anything, I'm simply into it for the enjoyment of stump shooting and the challenge of hunting with traditional equipment.

Been interested in muzzleloader since I was 12 or so, started building my own at age 15. Wish I had more to show for the last nineteen years...

36 now, and been at this since I was 18. I still use modern stuff for work and at times for hunting, but most of my hunting is done with MLs and a longbow.

Back