• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 by one driveway motion sensors around garden if you don't mind a sleepless summer. For some reason there scared to death of my Daisy powerline air rifle? Don't know why they just stand and stare at me when I shoot (over there heads) with everything from a 22 to 357?

Deer Fence.jpg

Mirrors my experience. Pity the farmers who are reliant on ethanol income. A technology change could cut their legs out from under them.
I come from a long line of farmers and we always had to say"what will you pay us for the crops we produce?". Most other sellers say "This is what we want".

I'm guessing wet snow has a higher nitrogen/oxygen content than well water, just like our scarce rainwater.
I mentioned well water (emphasis on "well")because it looks like I'm gonna have to have another water well dug.And it looks
Iike the ideal spot for one is on an area of my garden. I've already lost part of my garden to it being shaded out by a big Pecan tree and invading Bermuda grass ,now a water well. Maybe God's telling me to slow down and a smaller garden can be fun too.

I'm keeping the square footage down, trying to go more vertical to keep the square footage from being covered up by spreading vines and leaves. Putting in hugelkultur beds because of finding success in the past and wanting those vertical trellises to be solid with stuff to freeze and can.
The length of winter up here on the corn tundra is aggravating but I'm learning, getting the hang of it.

The snow was almost gone off my garden Monday evening. Since then we got 3 more inches of snow. I'll be planting around the 1st of June like usual, with fingers crossed for no late frost. Last year we had 27°f the third week of June. I threw in the towel and went fishing!

In the years past I've always planted Okra from seeds.This year I decided to try something different and bought 3 6-packs of Okra seedlings. They're in the ground and I thought all is well until I discovered I bought 2 6-packs(12 plants) of 1 variety (Clemson Spineless) and 1 6-pack (6 plants) of another variety (Emerald Green). Oh well, We'll see.

Last edited:
The hops are out of the ground & looking to climb. A couple of the stronger bines are already over two feet up the bailing twine that we string to a 20 foot pole for them. Hops are about the only thing that We can grow that does not become deer food.

and on the topic of farming...
Just discovered one of my hens has hatched 7 new babies I didn't know she was working on. She is an older hen with a spotty laying record. This is probably her last brood. Surprised she has so many as she is only an occasional layer due to age.
Combined with the 9 chicks I bought the last few weeks we are up to 16 babies.
add that to my 2 hens and 1 rooster we have a full flock again (last year I lost 3 to heat stroke when it got up to 115 for 3 days straight)

I'm really down in your back and don't think I could drag the water hose to the garden.I couldn't lift a bucket of water if my life depended on it.
But there are some plants that do need watering. The more I think about it,the more I'm willing to "risk" it.

I'm really down in your back and don't think I could drag the water hose to the garden.I couldn't lift a bucket of water if my life depended on it.
But there are some plants that do need watering. The more I think about it,the more I'm willing to "risk" it.
I got a handyman who comes out every week or two to handle the stuff I can no longer do easily.
I pay him off with homemade wine and some cash. He'd prefer more wine and less cash, but I can't brew it as fast as he can drink it. :D

I could let my wife do it but she waters the whole plant (leafs and all). I prefer just the roots get watered and no splashing on the foliage.I much prefer a hose dripping at the base of the plant for half a hour instead of spraying the plant for 2-3 minutes. Splashing is a good way to spread infections.

Latest posts

Back