• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could let my wife do it but she waters the whole plant (leafs and all). I prefer just the roots get watered and no splashing on the foliage.I much prefer a hose dripping at the base of the plant for half a hour instead of spraying the plant for 2-3 minutes. Splashing is a good way to spread infections.
Can you run one of those perforated hoses out to the garden and turn the faucet on low?

I'm not a big believer in drip hoses. According to the experts they put out 80% of the water in the first 20 feet of hose.I do let the regular hose drip but it only gets 1 plant at a time. I really don't feel like dragging any hose around at the moment, I'm having some severe back problems.

My wife,Carol,worked at Walmart some years ago. When she worked the Customer Service Department some customer brought back a drip hose for a return with the complaint that it leaked. The money was returned,no questions asked. How's that for service with a smile?

Last edited:
I'm not a big believer in drip hoses. According to the experts they put out 80% of the water in the first 20 feet of hose.I do let the regular hose drip but it only gets 1 plant at a time. I really don't feel like dragging any hose around at the moment, I'm having some severe back problems.
Sorry to hear of your back trouble.

My lower back has kept me from doing my usual garden, only tilled half so far. I planted onion sets twice, both times we got snow the next day that stayed on the ground 3-4 days, so I've got about 100 out of 500. I like the idea of buying green onions at grocery store and planting them. I'll try that.

Then I bought bulk seeds at the local feed store. I asked the same question as last year... are these this years seeds? They looked me in the eye and lied like a cheap rug! Not one seed came up! I'm done with those guys.

Started over again, now have Bush beans, okra, peppers, squash, and a few onions looking good and Chilantro and chives in a container. Here's pics of first till.
20220412_165834.jpg
20220412_165837.jpg

About the hardest work I've done in the past week has been moving the water hose around.We are dry!! All that watering sure has sprouted the weed seeds.I'm gonna be busy pulling weeds one of these days. If I were to sit down and pull weeds now I might not be able to get back up.

My lower back has kept me from doing my usual garden, only tilled half so far. I planted onion sets twice, both times we got snow the next day that stayed on the ground 3-4 days, so I've got about 100 out of 500. I like the idea of buying green onions at grocery store and planting them. I'll try that.

Then I bought bulk seeds at the local feed store. I asked the same question as last year... are these this years seeds? They looked me in the eye and lied like a cheap rug! Not one seed came up! I'm done with those guys.

Started over again, now have Bush beans, okra, peppers, squash, and a few onions looking good and Chilantro and chives in a container. Here's pics of first till.View attachment 138029View attachment 138028
I like your four legged roto tiller. 😉

We're supposed to get rain again today or tomorrow. The mosquitos will love it, like they did the rain last week. And the sticker vines are growing a foot a day! If they were worth money, I'd own this forum! :ghostly:
Yes, You probably will. I just saw a map of Texas and we will more than likely miss out on any rainfall.We will get some record-setting heat for the Mother's Day weekend.

Had some bad storms west of here yesterday, we got a half inch of rain. Went out and checked my garden this afternoon. My squash seeds are sprouting! I planted 5 hills, enough for me and my neighbors. As a kid you had to lock your car doors at Church, or you'd have more squash than you could possibly eat when you came out!

I like your four legged roto tiller. 😉

That's my supervisor Sandy. The last Jack Russell we had would bark and bite the wheels of the tiller, actually pulling it off track. She just lays in the shade and waits for me to go in the house...smart dog!

Had some bad storms west of here yesterday, we got a half inch of rain. Went out and checked my garden this afternoon. My squash seeds are sprouting! I planted 5 hills, enough for me and my neighbors. As a kid you had to lock your car doors at Church, or you'd have more squash than you could possibly eat when you came out!
But isn't it a wonderful feeling, being able to give surplus veggies to others? That's part of the "fun of gardening."

My garden is all in now. Planted the rest of the peppers and a few tomatoes. Turnips are coming up. I saw on squash leaf poking up out of the dirt today, too.

I need to get to the farm and get it taken care of. Planning on planting a bunch of pumpkins and Hubbard squash there.

Back