• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Are you kidding me? >>A Rant<<

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With only one exception in my collection, every gun has been shot, and will be shot. Like a car, it's meant to be used.

Ironically, my exception is a Ruger Old Army. I took it as part of a trade, new in box, and I just don't like the look or feel of it. Maybe someday I'll change my mind and it'll get shot, until then it sits in the safe.

Mike

I never haggle prices. IF I think the price is fair, have the $, then I'll buy it. I'm not "A MAN OF THE WORLD", but I know how things work in the REAL WORLD. I also now you can't buy a cup of coffee for 5₵ anymore too....but this is the type of "STUFF" that causes panic buying too.
Car dealers must love you.

Some folks do go gaga over them. Me, I have a hard time purchasing a gun that was made to never be fired but only enjoyed as a wall hanger.
There's two different kinds of commemorative. 1. Civil war chess set $1588 in inflation adjusted value in the 80s. $150-$350 (generously) today. 2. There is no commemorative that appreciates in value.

In my accumulation there are only four pieces that have never been shot. One is a percussion English made child's smooth bore that some one had the bore lined and messed up . A Lester Smith museum quality cap lock covered with German silver inlays. Shooting this would be, in my opinion, like using a Fredrick Remington bronze for a door stop, a European smooth bore musket that is a flintlock converted to tube lock, and a .310 Martini Cadet (excuse me Zonie) for which there are none of those silly brass case thingies to be had.
Otherwise all the rifles, pistols, revolvers and shotguns have been shot some more that others but all have been shot.
Otherwise why have them? My "Pair of Aces" are loaded and capped ready to shoot this afternoon.
There is not a commemorative rifle, revolver, or pistol, or shotgun in the gun rack. I guess the closest thing like that is a pair of Pietta "Capt. Schaeffer" replica presentation 1851 Colt Navy revolvers and they have been shot and shot a lot.
Respectfully,
Bunk

Middle Eastern an all points East have style, Raffish charm to stir the emagination ! .

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where best is like the worst , where there aren't no ten commandments' an a man can raise a thirst ;For the temple bells are callin; an its there that I would be By the old Moulmein Pagoda lookin lazy at the sea .
On the road to Mandalay where the flyin- fishes play an the dawn comes up like thunder outa China crost the Bay!
Just dont mention the fevers & stench ,moskito s or 'Delhi bellys' ,And being informed such usefull gems like "We are eating only Bengali chupaties !". But look at the guns the self pan opening matchlocks of the ill fated Sultan of Mysore who had lots of of Tiger motive encrusted guns, But being wont to feed his pet tigers of East India Company merchants got stompt on by forces partly led by the up & coming Wellington at Serringapatam in 1799. Brer Tipoo might have been a nuisance but he certainly had style .
Rudyard

Agreed. Commemorative guns typically lose about half of their value the moment they're purchased new. Yes there is a resale niche market for an extremely small number of them but for most, no. My dad taught me eons ago that buying commemorative anything is a waste of money, just say no.

My Dad told me that anything made to be a "collectable" wasn't going to be one for long.

Middle Eastern an all points East have style, Raffish charm to stir the emagination ! .

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where best is like the worst , where there aren't no ten commandments' an a man can raise a thirst ;For the temple bells are callin; an its there that I would be By the old Moulmein Pagoda lookin lazy at the sea .
On the road to Mandalay where the flyin- fishes play an the dawn comes up like thunder outa China crost the Bay!
Just dont mention the fevers & stench ,moskito s or 'Delhi bellys' ,And being informed such usefull gems like "We are eating only Bengali chupaties !". But look at the guns the self pan opening matchlocks of the ill fated Sultan of Mysore who had lots of of Tiger motive encrusted guns, But being wont to feed his pet tigers of East India Company merchants got stompt on by forces partly led by the up & coming Wellington at Serringapatam in 1799. Brer Tipoo might have been a nuisance but he certainly had style .
Rudyard

I did see many interesting things while in the Middle East. Some of the weapons caches we captured contained everything from AK’s to North African Jezails 😮

'Er petticoat was yaller an' 'er little cap was green,
An' 'er name was Supi-yaw-lat -- jes' the same as Theebaw's Queen,
An' I seed her first a-smokin' of a whackin' white cheroot,
An' a-wastin' Christian kisses on an 'eathen idol's foot:
Bloomin' idol made o'mud --
Wot they called the Great Gawd Budd --
Plucky lot she cared for idols when I kissed 'er where she stud!
On the road to Mandalay . . .

I’d wait for a couple of weeks, then go back and if it’s still there make him an offer your comfortable with.
When I went to business school, one of the first things I was taught on day one was that if your product isn't selling, raise the price considerably.

Another forum on which I spend way too much time, there is an odd pattern I have noticed; certain subjects, like huntin' (not hunting), holsters (of all things), and maybe home cookin' (not cooking), have everyone spelling all folksy, like Festus Hagen or Yosemite Sam. Here they spell like East Enders or Cockney, or whatever that is supposed to be.

Another forum on which I spend way too much time, there is an odd pattern I have noticed; certain subjects, like huntin' (not hunting), holsters (of all things), and maybe home cookin' (not cooking), have everyone spelling all folksy, like Festus Hagen or Yosemite Sam. Here they spell like East Enders or Cockney, or whatever that is supposed to be.
my problem is the %&*@ illiterate spell check on the *^$#! computer

Just trying' to be family friendly .
Reference "collectible" guns there is just one gun in the accumulation that is a work of art and it will not be shot. The tube lock looks sort of iffy so there is a hard pass on that one.
respectfully
Bunk

Status
Not open for further replies.