Are we losing members?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Shot deer, May 30, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 11, 2019 #221

bang

bang

bang

40 Cal

Capn'D you are correct. And eventually gone will be those that provide singular platform.

2. Jun 11, 2019 #222

theoldredneck

theoldredneck

theoldredneck

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Friend owns a pawn and gun store. He has no interest in muzzleloaders, modern in lines or traditional. He calls me and ask if I'm interested when someone brings one in. Sometimes he buys one if it is something he knows I want. I picked up a nice older CVS 45 caliber rifle from him yesterday. The modern in lines Wal-Mart sells here are bought for the few days of muzzleloader season. Guys that buy them have no interest in muzzleloaders. Never clean if shot and soon barrel looks like rusty pipe. Bought several for $20 or less as parts guns. I know a total of 4 guys that shoot real blackpowder in traditional guns hunting. A few that shoot black in cowboy shoots. This forum is my go to place for traditional muzzleloader info. I watch the for sale section and buy when something comes up I want. The smooth bore section has helped greatly. Learned about better ways to load and been amazed at patterns possible. Flint and percussion guns with a patched ball do not produce modern bench rest gun type groups at modern gun ranges. Around home at woods walking distances they shoot better than I can hold and see. Hitting something like a chipmunk at 25 to 50 yards is much more rewarding to me than a one hole group. Things different people have written here has made it possible for me to find accurate loads. Things like patch thickness and material of patches old shooters here understand. I don't know much now but enough to get my guns to shoot a lot more accurately. Guys here answer the same questions over and over for new shooters. Seems like I can read each new guys questions and see myself when I didn't know enough to know what to ask. Blackpowder shooting in traditional guns really is different from modern cartridge or inline shooting. The older guys here have a wealth of knowledge and don't mind sharing. I'm extremely thankful for this Traditional Muzzleloader forum. Without it I would have probably gave up on traditional muzzleloader guns. Would have missed a lot of fun and enjoying the smell of black. Thanks again to the owners and members that make the site possible.

Angie likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2019 #223

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Pilgrim

It just seems simple to me. There is a forum for virtually everything on the net.
    Why turn something that it isn't when you can just go to another forum that is what your looking for?
    Why not belong to multiple forums?
    The size of the forum in my opinion does not always relate to the quality.

azmntman, Brokennock and dave61965 like this.
  4. Jun 11, 2019 #224

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Well said, FishDFly.

It IS a "traditional" muzzleloading forum. "Keeping Tradition Alive" is at the top of every page.

I have been as guilty as any of bringing modern firearms into the discussion, It took me a while to realize that, for many, such references are a distraction from what they come here for. I hope I have learned my lesson, for I respect those people greatly - they are the reason I joined this Forum. And we are losing too many of them, along with their knowledge and unique experience.

New members have to understand that this Forum is about traditional muzzleloading, and the appropriate historical time periods.
    Everyone is expected to familiarize themselves with the Forum Rules. I re-read them every so often, to refresh my memory and understanding.

If you are into modern firearms (and I love them dearly, from blackpowder cartridge guns to machineguns,) there are other forums in which to pursue those interests. This Forum is the BEST, for traditional muzzleloading. Try to make it something different, more "inclusive", and it will cease to be so.

Richard/Grumpa

5. Jun 11, 2019 #225

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

There are several other forums out there that do pertain to black powder guns. How I selected this one is still a mystery to me. But I'm glad I did.

Angie likes this.
  6. Jun 11, 2019 #226

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Very well stated.

Shot deer and rshveyda like this.
  7. Jun 12, 2019 at 12:54 PM #227

jdw276

jdw276

jdw276

40 Cal.

One of the things is we have a great, helpful forum full of members that love the sport of shooting and old stuff. Members here have a LOT of knowledge of life stuff other than muzzleloaders. Sometimes it is easier to ask a friend, this forum, than to find someone else to ask. Another forum. Then we have introduced other stuff here and it goes against what the scope of the forum is. Our friendly members are our worst problem. Members ask an off topic or out of bounds question, get told not appropriate nicely or not so nice, and they think , geez, i was just asking a friend a question. Give me a break.

8. Jun 12, 2019 at 1:24 PM #228

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Not arguing with you, you have some good points. However,
    sometimes the best thing a friend, or family member, can do is put us in our place, not just tell us what we want to hear.

azmntman and FishDFly like this.
  9. Jun 12, 2019 at 9:01 PM #229

Don H

Don H

Don H

32 Cal

I'm member number 33537 and just joined about a month ago.

Shot deer and arcticap like this.
  10. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:22 PM #230

lyman54

lyman54

lyman54

32 Cal.

My thoughts also on your comments and this forum. I have received lots of help from members here. Yes things are changing. There are only 3 of us shooting traditional muzzleloaders at the club I go to. Except for inlines I can't find the supplies that used to be common. At least in Canada around where I am. Luckily there are companies in the States that I always look to. Even the .54 cal. has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Guys like me are thankful that Americans have really been the ones that have kept this shooting sport alive, so thank you.

theoldredneck and FishDFly like this.