Are we losing members?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Shot deer, May 30, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 4, 2019 #201

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I think Suncity was responding to what wcubed posted many posts before. I thought about asking him to clarify, but I had ignored wcubed and could not see his posts.

2. Jun 4, 2019 #202

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

Okay, I'm back in for now. This tablet let me in this morning. For some reason it wouldn't let me log in yesterday. I feel like I'm back "Home" now. I almost had withdrawal symptoms yesterday. Now I need to play catch up on yesterdays activities. And that was for only one day. What am I going to do when this old tablet craters?

Shot deer likes this.
  3. Jun 4, 2019 #203

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

:D:D:D

Vladislav Krovopuskov likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2019 #204

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Glad to see you here and it is working. I had to charge my tablet that is like yours and we just getting ready to check the forum out on it. I'll check on it soon since it's working for you now.

5. Jun 4, 2019 #205

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

So I'm not the only one using a tablet? Out of curiosity what are some of the things being used out there?

Howard Rubin likes this.
  6. Jun 4, 2019 #206

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I'm using a tablet too..... works for me. If your asking what others use device wise: smart-phones, tablets, and laptops/computers I'm guessing.

7. Jun 4, 2019 #207

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

I've found that the smart phone sends better pictures. For some reason when pictures are sent on this tablet they come in sideways. I'm no where near being "tech smart", so I really couldn't tell you why.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Shot deer likes this.
  8. Jun 4, 2019 #208

Baxter

Baxter

Baxter

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Angie: I use Kasperski and its 'auto-fill' (or whatever Kasperski calls it) to log in. When I open this site and click on the log-in, I become logged in before I can check the 'stay signed in' box. My neuropathy and action-tremor are problematic. I've slowed my cursor significantly, but that doesn't help much, except for accuracy. Help from your end?
    As an aside, I haven't always had these problems. Back in 1959 - 60, I was the only boy in my high school who enrolled in and excelled in typing classes. Later, I became enthralled with the IBM Selectric. :rolleyes:

9. Jun 4, 2019 #209

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

For the record, I "faded away" because it's frustrating to see something that I created 16 years ago, out of a love for the sport, change into something I have no control over.

When I sold the Forum, I gave up control of it's future. In the beginning, I helped whenever needed to get the ball rolling, but getting "more involved" in someone else's business doesn't appeal to me. I was told that the new owner had run several other forums and once I turned over all the resources, and it was up and running, I bowed out.

I was always embarrassed to ask for money and felt that the Premium membership was merely a way for those who wished to donate to do so. Calling the Forum a "family", then asking for money, seemed odd.

We grew to over 32,000 members because the Moderators and I ran a very tight ship. There's a new captain at the helm now, setting a new course. I have no regrets about selling the Forum and I wish the new owner the best of luck. :)

shunka, Shot deer and azmntman like this.
  10. Jun 4, 2019 #210

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

Glad to see ya back Claude. How is your new venture on 2 wheels treating ya?

11. Jun 4, 2019 #211

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

You done a great job Claude and thanks for getting us back on topic

12. Jun 5, 2019 #212

theoldredneck

theoldredneck

theoldredneck

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I shoot a lot of different type guns both modern cartridge/shotgun shell and muzzleloader. Own and shoot muzzleloaders in both modern inline and traditional. Came to this site a few years ago to learn more about the traditional both shooting and building. Would have became a paying member then but didnt do the PayPal thing. I'm thankful that for the most part things discussed here stay on topic and are directed towards the traditional muzzleloader. Have bought guns and shooting related things from members here. Never had a problem in any way with anything being misrepresented. Have learned answers to questions I wasn't smart enough to ask or know I needed to ask. Like anywhere you will find a few obnoxious people here, it is part of life and the world we live in. The good folks here more than make up for the bad if you just stick around. I want to give a special thanks to all that have made this forum possible, past and present. Thanks to all that have helped me in different ways over the years.

johnhalf and arcticap like this.
  13. Jun 5, 2019 #213

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

When you press the "reply" button, that person's post comes up as a quote. If you read the beginning, you will see the members name, what number the member is,etc. That's something to look at, seems like the "update" y'all talk about didn't change that, because I've seen member number "32,000".

14. Jun 5, 2019 #214

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

That's very interesting.
    When we were all assigned the personal referral links that I previously mentioned, my referral link number was 4225 which I thought was the same as my member number
    since it was part of our individual profile page.
    But now it shows that my member number is 3108.
    Maybe that's because some older members didn't register with the new software yet, or because there was a membership purge when the software was changed.
    I thought that my membership number would have always stayed the same, but it changed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Shot deer likes this.
  15. Jun 5, 2019 #215

rshveyda

rshveyda

rshveyda

36 Cl.

This is a bit of the "angry old far" syndrome rearing it's ugly head, IMHO. I participate almost daily in several online forums and if I had a nickel for every time someone called my comments BS I would buy my own forums. It's the price of playing on many Internet forums these days, unfortunately.

In my experience, the older generation and gun owners in general often have a higher sense and sensitivity to the concept of personal honor (and usually personal responsibility, respect and civility, thank goodness.) Many of them will call you out to your face if they think you are questioning the veracity of their statements and that's fine. But there is definitely a breed of individual, the "angry old fart," who seems to go around just itching to be offended by someone questioning their knowledge.

I would politely suggest that person needs a bit of a thicker skin, but if they instead choose to take their round balls and go home because they don't want to play anymore there isn't a lot we can do about it. Handling that kind of poster with kid gloves so they don't get offended isn't the answer, IMHO. Posters on these forums are more polite and civil to each other than just about any other forums I've ever been to.

shunka, Woodnbow, johnhalf and 2 others like this.
  16. Jun 10, 2019 #216

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

This is either a traditional muzzle loading site or it is not. A decision needs to be made on what this site is and it's future direction.

It is time to drop mentioning what is not be mentioned.

The focus here has been lost by new members.

Claude does drop in to read at times, he cannot be happy with what is discussed at times from what he started, mentored and channeled his guidance.

Guess the new direction is up to the new web dude.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Grumpa likes this.
  17. Jun 10, 2019 #217

BKUSCH53

BKUSCH53

BKUSCH53

32 Cal

That being said, I'm out...Dont know this was for Traditional only..Enjoy your forum

18. Jun 10, 2019 #218

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you would like a less traditional forum, you may want to try ModernMuzzleloader as they are not as traditional. And stay a member here for the traditional questions and comments.

Shot deer, S.Kenton and Baxter like this.
  19. Jun 10, 2019 #219

Black Jack

Black Jack

Black Jack

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

My sentiments exactly. For myself, I never met a gun I didn't like (well, almost never). I have a modest collection, all types, mostly traditional muzzleloaders. I read other forums at times, but spend most of my time on this one. I am not a "thread counting" (no offense intended) re-enactor but sure enjoy shooting with black powder, attending the occasional fun-type rendezvous and inhaling that smoke. In short, I am just thankful that this site exists as it is the best of any of the muzzleloading forums, even if not 100% "pure".

azmntman, dave61965, rshveyda and 2 others like this.
  20. Jun 11, 2019 #220

Capn' D

Capn' D

Capn' D

32 Cal MLF Supporter

I've been distressed for years at the lack of interest in traditional that I encounter in Ga. Seems folks want to talk about black powder briefly until it starts to have anything to do with history. I'm fairly sure its a generational thing. I grew up with movies like "Drums along the Mohawk," Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone. Even the Disney stuff and later TV shows interested me. Then, in almost all the western TV series of the 50's and 60's there were the occasional traditional muzzleloading rifles carried by mountain men and wagon train guides. I can remember sitting there at 10 years old picking out the anachronisms in movies where they would try to make a trapdoor Springfield that the props dept. already had, into a flintlock by gluing on a fake pan and flint. And how many hundreds of trapdoors showed up as muzzleloaders in Civil War movies made in the 1960's? The studios must have had an awful lot of them lying around. Another issue is that we were taught as kids to guard our ammo. One shot one kill. Sight in a rifle with 10 rounds and then a shot was all you would need. My dad always said to take a few rounds with me when I went hiking up a mountain, "just in case." If a single 50 caliber bullet would not stop it, I sure didn't want to tangle with it. Today, I watch a younger generation spray rounds from their black rifles. If you can count TV and movies as a motivator or influence...as it was for me...spraying rounds everywhere is all they ever see on modern shows.

A great deal of media capital has been invested in making large numbers of our kids believe that hunting and shooting are bad and outdated practices. The propaganda has worked. I'm around college kids all the time and most believe merely owning a gun is evil. Those who do not are of the "build my own black rifle" camp. There are fewer hunters here that ever before and our deer tags get longer and longer. There may be more deer killed on Ga's roads now than by Ga hunters.

For whatever reason, the folks I regularly encounter that shoot black powder, think of it as a cheap way to get a few extra days of hunting. They don't care about history at all. They love powder substitutes, pellets, all sorts of modern lubed bullets, 209 primers and anything else they can do to make their rifle as modern as possible. I'm not sure at all what can be done to turn this around. I have hoped for years that it was a regional thing. I had hoped that in places like VA,or Charleston, SC, there might be still interested youngsters that follow some kind of traditional CW reenactment influence or perhaps in Montana a mountain man rendezvous interest. Briefly, we had some coastal pirate reenactors and I thought we might get back some of the 1970's glory days for muzzleloaders. But the media is too influential. The newer bunch of pirate movies stopped coming and the younger folks lost interest...Frustrated!! Because I feel that a lot of important knowledge and skills are about to leave with our generation. Perhaps the most important of which are making that "one shot" count and keeping your weapon clean and lubricated. Readiness, patience and reliable skill.

azmntman, Baxter, Coot and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.