Are we losing members?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Shot deer, May 30, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2019 #181

Rockvillerich

Rockvillerich

Rockvillerich

Pilgrim

Yep, been shooting black powder since 1972, and started out needing a lot of assistance, which I really appreciated.

dave61965 likes this.
  2. Jun 3, 2019 #182

Ron Wilkerson

Ron Wilkerson

Ron Wilkerson

32 Cal.

I have been a member for several years now. I have learned a lot from other members. I have several members who just stand out to me as being most helpful to others who have questions. Zonie is really helpful on a lot of ml issues. I just kind of ignore some I consider to be all about putting other people down. I do think this is the best ml forum today.

3. Jun 3, 2019 #183

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I think you've been on for more than a few years.

Vladislav Krovopuskov likes this.
  4. Jun 3, 2019 #184

dave61965

dave61965

dave61965

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I have found that after the age of 50 I find myself saying a few years ago when it was actually 10, one of the perks of getting older I suppose, sure beats the alternative though lol.

Shot deer and Angie like this.
  5. Jun 3, 2019 #185

reeladventuresstjohn

reeladventuresstjohn

reeladventuresstjohn

Pilgrim

We had 40 acres , that’s almost 1/2 mile from end to end, with an old gravel bank 20’high. Grandma needed to sell the property and the new developer used the gravel for fill, and sold building lots for urban sprawl

Shot deer likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2019 #186

Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron

45 Cal.

I think the point to keep in mind is no matter how passionate you are about muzzleloading or any other hobby. That opinion does no apply to any one else.

Those who are driven to authenticity will seek it out. Those who simply like to shoot and do a little reenacting will simply do what the event requires. I find that for many folks the camaraderie is far more important then the authenticity.

So, in answer to the OPs question; the membership will ebb and flow as members pursue other interests in addition to their muzzleloading activities.

Shot deer, arcticap, railshot and 2 others like this.
  7. Jun 3, 2019 #187

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

They should be increasing as posts in this forum to count.

8. Jun 3, 2019 #188

railshot

railshot

railshot

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I do recommend this forum to others that are truly interested in learning the history and techniques of the past, but I have not seen anyone join that I have recommended it to.
    It could be that they are simply lurking for now, or have already seen or learned what they needed and parted.

This forum has a wealth of history, opinions, and advice I have not found anywhere else, so I will continue to be a supporting member even though life has changed a few things for me and I no longer can, nor wish to build anything...… but the learning never stops.

I do visit often, read what interests me, then move on ….many times never logging in.

Many, many good people here, and I am truly proud to have spent the short time I have with all of you.
    A sincere thank you to all of you.

At 66 years old, this happens I guess.

johnhalf likes this.
  9. Jun 3, 2019 #189

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

I've been surprised when others have described about how their muzzle loading clubs have relaxed their rules for club competitions.
    That seems to be the norm not only for the NMLRA national org. but for many local clubs as well.
    That's not only what both needed to do in order to survive, but it's part of having true face to face contact with local people who they personally know.
    For instance, before my NMLRA club went out of existence, the members didn't have any problem with folks shooting their inlines at the club range, they just could not be used in club competition. But that's not the norm anymore since many clubs now allow inlines for shooting events.

People sometimes say and insinuate things that they simply wouldn't say to another person face to face, especially if they belong to the same club that has voted on making their own set of rules.
    And that's why many don't like an atmosphere of not feeling totally welcome for wanting to discuss or enjoy more aspects of muzzle loading than this site will allow.

I joined this site in part to help new shooters and people with safety and newbie questions and concerns.
    I've learned a lot along the way about PC/HC, but it involves a lot more reading, research and learning than why many casual shooters and hunters come here and join.
    So it's no wonder that many folks don't want to remain active after realizing they aren't truly welcome across the board.
    Something as simple as mentioning a gun with a plastic stock, or using substitute powders, or using solvents, or a revolver with a brass frame can bring some critical comments along with it.
    And that contributes to why there's 2 camps and there will always be 2 camps.

Some people may use a compass while others may use a GPS, and that's just the world that we live in today and the divide is only growing.
    And when people who aren't supposed to be talking about inlines can continue to bash inlines or other modern plastic items, yet no one is allowed to defend them, when in fact many people here just might shoot inlines, or want to try or actually do shoot sabots with their sidelocks, then that's also not proper enforcement of the rules.

There's a disconnect with the logic behind some of the rules.
    For instance:
    It's okay to discuss a muzzle loader having a plastic stock instead of a wood stock, or plastic fiber optic sights instead of all metal sights.

Yet sabots which were originally made of wood and invented around 1830, are not allowed to be discussed because they are now made out of plastic.
    The logic about discussing plastic items is not consistent.
    Yet again, plastic shotgun wads are okay to be discussed because quite frankly they work and many people probably feel that they need to use them, especially with non-toxic shot.
    But plastic shotgun wads were not even invented during the BP historical period, were they?
    Yet the same logic isn't applied to plastic sabots even though now in California lead projectiles are banned so plastic sabots may become a necessity for many.
    And now they've come out with plastic over powder cards, and who knows what kind of synthetic gasket materials oils and greases, and a new member needs to be a lawyer in order to navigate the written and unwritten rules of this site because the logic behind them can be overwhelming and too complicated for a new member to understand.

If we all earned a penny for every time someone used the word,"unmentionable" then we could all be rich by now. ;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Rockvillerich and Boatncamp like this.
  10. Jun 3, 2019 #190

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Most of the time I'd rather use a compass!

BTW thank you again Angie for turning off the ads, it's a big help.

Rockvillerich, Angie and arcticap like this.
  11. Jun 3, 2019 #191

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Speaking of people leaving, I recently had a PM from a new member who wants his membership cancelled.

He made one post in the Flintlock section. Shortly after he made his post, another member made a general comment, directed to no one in particular, basically saying the topic had a lot of BS in it.

Since this post directly followed the new members post, he took it personally and assumed the comment was directed at him. He made one more post about his comment and then sent his PM to me saying he resented being called a liar and wanting out of the forum. Two posts total and he's gone. Sad. :(

arcticap and Shot deer like this.
  12. Jun 4, 2019 #192

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I don't get "offended" on here, mainly for the fact I don't care if the others hate me or the way I like/do things. I just CAN get irritated at the fact they are doing, that is if it is extensively used. I wish others would the same.

Juice Jaws likes this.
  13. Jun 4, 2019 #193

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

54 Cal.

Sorry guys, I'm having trouble with the tablet that I normally enjoy this forum on.
    Each time I try and log in the words "This site can't be reached" pop up. I don't know if it's my tablet or the forum itself. Same thing happens on the Civil War forum that I visit. This message is on my smart phone. Carry on and enjoy, I'll rejoin this forum as soon as I can.

14. Jun 4, 2019 #194

Johnny Tremain

Johnny Tremain

Johnny Tremain

50 Cal.

Since Im semi-retired, I have no time to go shooting, or to tired & hurt to.
    Ya figure by the time you have survived 60 plus years, you might have figured it out by now.
    Still pleasantly floating though life like a jellyfish on the tide.

Kids turn a deaf ear to the past. When we are gone, they will make the same mistakes, again.

15. Jun 4, 2019 #195

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

And they may learn from it. Then again maybe they won't, but hopefully they will learn, kind of inevideble to a certain extent.

16. Jun 4, 2019 #196

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

I saw that post of someone saying the topic had a lot of b.s. in it and resisted the temptation to question and challenge the poster of it. I wish the new person had challenged Mr. Know-it-all, I looked at some of his other posts, many are terse and certainly the kind of posts I would see as turning off newcomers.

17. Jun 4, 2019 #197

2PawsRiver

2PawsRiver

2PawsRiver

Pilgrim

Not many hunting with actual primitive muzzle loaders.

18. Jun 4, 2019 #198

Angie

Angie

Angie

Did you report it? Or I like the idea of asking them to be specific.

19. Jun 4, 2019 #199

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

My initial instinct was to ask for clarification and for Sun City to be more specific. But, things are so contentious here lately, and I've been involved in more of it than I'd like, that I resisted that urge. Nobody seems to think about what someone else has really said and they instantly react to their interpretation of what was said, I don't need any more of the "stuff" that comes with people responding to what I post that way.

shunka, hawkeye2, johnhalf and 2 others like this.
  20. Jun 4, 2019 #200

Angie

Angie

Angie

@Brokennock I can totally understand your reasoning.

Rockvillerich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.