Are we losing members?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Shot deer, May 30, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 30, 2019 #1

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Are we losing members faster than we can gain them? Looking at how many members we have, when I first became a member, it looked like there was the same amount or more than we have now.

Vladislav Krovopuskov likes this.
  2. May 30, 2019 #2

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I'm aware of only a couple of members that we've "lost" in the last year as far as forum membership is concerned. When I say "lost" I'm talking about the people who were intentionally removed from the forum by the administration. (They can't post here and they can't rejoin.)

When the new software that runs the forum was installed it seems to have forgotten about the number of members we had listed under the old software but I don't know why. As I recall, the old forum used to show something like 32,000 members. Now the new forum says we have 16,266.

Even if the number is only 16,266, I think we are among, if not the largest muzzleloading forum on the net.

As for members who quit posting on the forum, we've had several. I don't know exactly why they quit posting but whatever the reason, they are still full fledged members as far as the MLF is concerned and they are welcome back any time they want to post something.

Pukka Bundook and Shot deer like this.
  3. May 30, 2019 #3

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Quality - Not Quantity - Let's look at what's really important.

Woodnbow, azmntman, Eterry and 4 others like this.
  4. May 30, 2019 #4

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

Not sure how many were casual members and quietly passed on with out notice. Pretty much like the attrition in muzzle loading in general

5. May 30, 2019 #5

The Crisco Kid

The Crisco Kid

The Crisco Kid

36 Cl. MLF Supporter

When I got started in muzzleloading in the '70's there were a lot of young guys involved and not too many old timers. Now there are quite a few old timers and not many youngsters. The same seems to be true for the ASSRA. I guess attrition is just a fact of life for these noble pursuits.

JS

6. May 30, 2019 #6

bang

bang

bang

40 Cal

I've only been a member a few months. One thing I have noticed is a lot of information queries. A lot of got this. Sell and want. It seems to be going on and on and on to the point of a bit stagnate.
    As Shaw stated. Not many getting into BP but those that do ask the questions.
    An amount that sell, thinning their inventory either getting out or just getting out due to age.
    I will say this and mean absolutely disrespect to anyone. The concern to try to be period is understood. I myself have been amiss when a conversation has been called for not being. Perhaps some are put off by this. Living in any BP period is a fun adventure but unless it's not something a person does 24/7/365 then it is a hobby. There is more to the enjoyment of experiencing BP then just an historic time.
    Personally I do not live or try to live in period. Nor would I attend anything that demands it or no inclusion. But never the less I have deep respect for what it means to to our history. I shoot BP and every time out I marvel at the tenacity, toughness, resourcefulness of our forefathers with every load.
    But maybe it's time to add a forum for modern day enthusiasts. Things change and if we don't change with the times, at least some, we get left behind. I think that new forum could be a draw to new members.

CapnJack and Shot deer like this.
  7. May 30, 2019 #7

sussexmuzllodr

sussexmuzllodr

sussexmuzllodr

40 Cal

Hello my Brothers and Sisters,
    I cannot believe how time has passed. 30 years since I fell in love with Muzzle loading heading into sixty now. when I started out it seemed that many more were into it.
    I can remember going to navy arms in Bergen N.J. for some of my first replicas. Some which I still have. Many things have changed due to the advances of tech for the younger generations the easy and I want it now kind of thought. Politicians and laws have also changed to a great degree on hunting in general. I realize that its the kind of thing that needs to be passed to a willing and patient younger person...many angles on this kind of thing as we all know. I also fell in love at at young age at a particular episode of twilight zone where a man was hunting with his coon dog who caught the scent of a racoon...well you know the rest...the problem is I am that old guy now....however we will stay clear of racoons. I relish that through the years I have met so many folks that have given me knowledge and I have in some sort of way passed it onto those interested in the same thing. I often let those who have never tried a muzzle loader get a chance to shoot one. the look on the faces are priceless.
    This is all we can do....just try to pass it on.

SAN

Treestalker, CapnJack and Shot deer like this.
  8. May 30, 2019 #8

sussexmuzllodr

sussexmuzllodr

sussexmuzllodr

40 Cal

I agree 100% with you. It is nice to be out in the elements hunting with this particular style of weapon...I have reaped the reward many times....but I am not going to suffer while enjoying it...

9. May 30, 2019 #9

bang

bang

bang

40 Cal

I have read many a post about rendezvous that will not allow participation if you don't have all the period gear. I can not think of a better way to cause a person to just say to heck with it.
    Group activities should bolster new people and this site is no different. People should be encourage to gear up as best they can and at the same time shown inclusion. Hobbies are at the mercy of living expenses.

johnhalf, Logcutter and CapnJack like this.
  10. May 30, 2019 #10

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Like any other pursuit, traditional muzzleloading attracts certain types of individuals. Those of us who have pioneer family histories feel a kinship with our ancestors, and we admire the types of guns that were used by them in military or civilian life. Others merely like the challenge of using obsolete firelocks. Some of us like to recreate the guns, artwork and accessories that reflect earlier times. Traditional muzzleloading is a world of different things to different people. It is the best hobby of all in my opinion because it teaches us so much, in so many directions. People in this pastime, I find, are some of the most courteous, cheerful, helpful and generous folks you can be a part of. They are intelligent, patient, curious, diligent, and considerate, many traits which are sadly lacking in today's society. We on the Forum cherish these ideals, and hopefully we will see more people joining the Forum to learn more about the guns, history and downright joy of muzzleloading; it's up to us to show folks the door, but only they can walk through it. And only they can choose to remain in the Forum.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  11. May 30, 2019 #11

sussexmuzllodr

sussexmuzllodr

sussexmuzllodr

40 Cal

Very Well Said...

Shot deer likes this.
  12. May 30, 2019 #12

bang

bang

bang

40 Cal

So true Treestalker. Problem is so many young now a days have no concept of history much less their own.
    Those that get into BP now typically do so with inlines. Actually I don't blame them considering what a traditional muzzleloader cost now. Wwhen you can but an inline for 200 vs 400 and up for traditional which way do you think they will go?
    But we can not close that door on them before they get the chance to be a part of why those traditional ones are worth the continuing and learning the history.
    My mothers family were participants that came to Texas on one of the last wagon trains. But I'm not gping to buy a wagon, team and all the thing for that. Doesn't mean I don't relish that history. And it doesn't mean others won't
    I think we have come to a time that some reverse engineering is paramount. Some have the interest but don't really know the history. If we don't find a way to include how do we teach?

Shot deer and Treestalker like this.
  13. May 30, 2019 #13

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

One thing I have noticed lately is the number of discussions being shut down compared to the past.

Also it seems that folks are not as tolerant of each other or their ways in doing things. Folks arguing over which is better, cut at the muzzle or pre-cut patches, or cleaning/or not cleaning between shots, does it really matter?

The Classifieds, folks are not as courteous, buyers and sellers now.

Some of the long time posters also have cut back on their posting, there has to be a reason.

I know some folks who became members, read for awhile and said there is too much bickering for them.

Claude did run a tighter ship, which I think was better.

My lead box has more members than in the past.

Just my thoughts.

14. May 30, 2019 #14

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Some of the lack of posting could be seasonal or situational. I know in my own case I often don't check in here as much throughout the summer as most of my shooting focus and energy gets redirected to more modern tactical shooting and training. I think I'm not the only one who drops in and out of this forum and hobby throughout the year. I can think of a few other members whom we only hear from at certain times of the year, and a few others that seem to disappear and then show up again at random.

As far as actual forum member numbers? I have no idea, and I'm not sure it matters. If the forum had 30k members but only 25 who actively post and discuss, then for all intents and purposes, the forum has 25 members.

As to the quality over the quantity, I would agree that quality is more important. But I'm not sure our quality is the same as it once was.

15. May 30, 2019 #15

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Umm, not arguing, just asking, have you been a member for a few months or have you been on since 2011? That's what your profile shows......:)

Eutycus likes this.
  16. May 30, 2019 #16

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I don't care how many members the forum has, as a group we have some great people who know a lot of information on ML's, history, living the life, etc. I enjoy the forum. And the mod's do a fine job, even that " other one ".

17. May 30, 2019 #17

bang

bang

bang

40 Cal

Got to be typo. Although it is possible I had to sign up to look at pixs or something then didn't keep up with it. What ever the deal I have not been active on a consistant bases but durring this year. I was pretty much not shooting my BPs much and got back interested late last year.

Shot deer likes this.
  18. May 30, 2019 #18

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Thanks for discussing this issue as you see it. What is strange is that this forum is know for historical accuracy, but a few of the very particular folks have decided it was not correct enough and have stop posting much.

Others here are now talking of forum needing to be more accepting to "modern" versions of muzzleloading.

As you can see, suiting everyone all the time is not really possible. And one of my favorite folks has not been seen in awhile, so I think I need to email him to see how he's doing.

johnhalf, Shot deer and CapnJack like this.
  19. May 30, 2019 #19

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

"Others here are now talking of forum needing to be more accepting to "modern" versions of muzzleloading."

I am not for modern versions as there other places to go and read about them I hear. If folks wanted more "modern", could always stick it in Premium Members.

20. May 30, 2019 #20

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I agree wholeheartedly! I love this forum because it’s about traditional muzzleloading. I don’t participate in living history re-enactments but I shoot and hunt with traditional black powder arms. No interest at all in “modern” bp.