• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

are these two anything interesting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reed ?

eCq6qRo.jpg

WM Taunton repro?
tJe37B8.jpg

"WM Taunton repro?"

First that isn't a reproduction, it's an 1861 contract musket that has been modified into a shotgun. This was done post war by outfits like Bannerman's for resale to civilians. The barrel was shortened from 40", smoothbored and a pipe for the new ramrod was added. The stock was shortened and the band replaced by a plain one secured by a single screw. A bead front sight was added and you should be able to see where the rear sight dovetail and screw were filled. Unless it was extensively sanded you should see the inspector's stamps on the left behind and below the rear lock screw. The lock markings varied over the years of the contract. I have one that is identical except it is still armory bright and the lock is by another contractor. The value is well below an unmodified '61 contract rifle musket but this is an exceptionally fine one and I would not do anything except preserve it as is and shoot it of course. Has the nipple been replaced with one for #11 caps?

William M. Mason of Taunton, Mass. contracted to manufacture Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Muskets. His firm manufactured textile machinery and locomotives before this.

Latest posts

Back