• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Are these patches any good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
I got a pack of these premium lube patches from eastern maine supplies. Not sure what i was expecting but they're a bit more lubed than I expected.

Anyone had good or bad experiences with them?

I do have 0.015 non lubed patches or these 0.018 lubed ones. I've read that people with my rifle have liked the thicker patches which is why it is my first thought.

How does the lube clean up out of the barrel?

It appears they lubed with an oil base product...
The reviews say, they smell good.... but didn’t say how well they preformed.

Clean up shouldn’t be any different than with any other oil based lube..

Try them out. They should be fine, just clean up as usual with soapy water.
I would say to stick with dry patches in the future. You can always make your own lube.

I'd never use a patch lube that I didn't know what it was made from. Eastern Maine doesn't tell us what the lube is in the lube itself they sell or the lubed patches.

I got a pack of these premium lube patches from eastern maine supplies. Not sure what i was expecting but they're a bit more lubed than I expected.

You'll never know until you try them.
If they were receiently made they are probably fine. If they were made a year ago or longer, they may fly apart into shreds when the gun fires.

I have used those. They worked fine for me but I am kind of new to shooting PRB. I know I had one marathon range session where I fired well over 5 shots I only wiped the bore every 7 shots or so.

I think their lube is very similar to bore butter. It has a wintergreen scent.

I do have 0.015 non lubed patches or these 0.018 lubed ones. I've read that people with my rifle have liked the thicker patches which is why it is my first thought.

How does the lube clean up out of the barrel?

As many have stated, use the mix of water and dish washing detergent. The water dissolves the black powder fouling and the grease cutting ability of the detergent will remove the oil that has combined with the fouling.

I just finished up shooting a ziploc bag full of patches I pre-lubed some 14 years ago with “moose snot” grease style lube.

Every one recovered looked tip top, could have been reused.

Back