• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are the ring rub/scratch marks on a revolver typical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My revolver knowledge is just above kindergarten. I have a Uberti Remington 44 cal. It has always had the cylinder rub scratch marks from the stop rubbing against it. Most of the revolvers I have seen have the same marks. My question: Is this something that occurs because the stop is slightly too high? Is it acceptable to be getting those marks? Should the stop be honed down?
Thoughts would be appreciated.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

My revolver has those same marks on the cylinder. That little spring that moonman mentioned, broke on my gun. When I finally figured out how to change the hand & spring. I could see that the old one had worn down considerably.

There are several things that retract the cylinder stop bolt and the accumulated tolerances on the parts can result in the bolt stop dragging on the cylinder, even in a new reproduction pistol. A little wear on those parts adds to the likelihood that the bolt stop will not retract far enough to clear the cylinder.

Some people remove that cylinder bolt stop and use an abrasive stone to grind some material off of the end that can rub against the cylinder. It often takes only about .005" of material removal to stop the rubbing from happening.

This isn't a hard job to do but it does take some time. That's why the companies that make these reproduction pistols don't bother to do it. Time is money and they are trying to keep the cost of their pistols as low as possible to compete with the other companies that make the guns.

IMO, anyone who tries this should do the grinding by hand. It's easy to remove too much material and end up with the bolt not having enough material to lock the cylinder.

Thanks Jim, that is what I thought would help, but wanted to check first if that was a good idea. I have a diamond stone that I can hand tool. When rotating the cylinder with the hammer, one specific chamber has an unacceptable bind.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Mr. deerman - think Moonman was referring to the trigger/bolt return spring and not the hand / hand spring assembly.

Ring around the collar / bolt drag looks terrible on a cylinder and, as Zonie explained, the cause is readily correctable. Some people think that it is normal and acceptable - but I disagree. The line is symptomatic of a problem that needs fixing. If you have one you put it there.

Unless there is a noticeable binding of the cylinder, I don't believe there is a need to address what is a common and purely cosmetic issue present on many revolvers. I have owned and regularly used five Uberti replica revolvers over a twenty five year period and none noticeably exhibited this marking although I have seen many other revolvers that appear quite deeply marked. I particularly remember being surprised when I shot breech loading revolvers in competition many years ago, to see Korth (German) and Manurhin (French) top pf the range precision revolvers which carried these witness marks. I've also come across dealers in the UK who are reluctant to allow potential customers to cycle new revolvers on sale for fear marking the cylinder.
Brian

Unless there is a noticeable binding of the cylinder, I don't believe there is a need to address what is a common and purely cosmetic issue present on many revolvers. I have owned and regularly used five Uberti replica revolvers over a twenty five year period and none noticeably exhibited this marking although I have seen many other revolvers that appear quite deeply marked. I particularly remember being surprised when I shot breech loading revolvers in competition many years ago, to see Korth (German) and Manurhin (French) top pf the range precision revolvers which carried these witness marks. I've also come across dealers in the UK who are reluctant to allow potential customers to cycle new revolvers on sale for fear marking the cylinder.
Brian
Big thing for me is - is the revolver in time? Drag line doesn’t mean it is out of time. Some pistoleros feel that the drag acts as a break when fast cocking and reduces battering of the locking bolt recess.

Latest posts

Back