• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are round balls going the way of caps, etc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I have a mold for each of my guns, the original question in the first post isn't an issue. As I see it, if you're really really serious about muzzleloading, you'll either be casting or be friends with someone who does.

plumbers lead or railroad babbitt lead, old building roof flashing, I live near a major salmon fishery and rip out tangles of line snagged on the bottom which is loaded with split shots, junkyard wheelweights ( if yo go around with a pail and hammer you can take off the old steel clip weights ) modern glue on weight is zinc mostly. the steel floats to the top in the melt. lead is out there. I cast for centerfire as well as bp and have a luber/sizer that makes for precise cast bullets. Use a hardness tester to ensure density/ hardness and scrap lead becomes useful ( or do a large melt fluxed with beeswax and cast ingots , if you do it right and stir a bit the entire melt will be uniform. Always wear a good respirator because lead vapor is invisible but quite toxic

Muzzle-Loaders.com has Hornady round balls, $15.50 shipped for 100 balls, (50 cal.) if your not into casting your own.

I stocked up on balls last spring when Midway USA blew them out for $8 per 100 with free shipping. Could pass that up foe the lead alone.

I also have a Lee round ball/ REAL bullet mold . I recover about 80% of my fired balls from my berm to melt down and reuse.

The signs are there. The “ government “ will try to ban all lead everything in a decade or longer. I would scavenge any lead I could find and put it away. If you don’t use it you can always sell it at a profit.

Anybody who lives here in UK who shoots muzzleloading and doesn't cast is either rich or cracked.

I came back from my LGS last Tuesday, having bought their last liquid Alox, and was astounded to see Pedersoli .44cal ball at $25.60 per C.

I get freebie lead from a local builder, and can happily cast three or four hundred .457cal ball for my trusty ROA for the price of the electricity - say a buck even.

Buying ball makes as much sense to me as buying a bucket of fog.

Casting your own is considerably cheaper than buying balls, and you don’t have to worry about availability. .40 cal RB only weigh about a pound/100…. If you lay in a supply of 50 pounds, that’s gonna last a long time, it doesn’t take up very much space, and it doesn’t deteriorate or spoil.

Buying ball makes as much sense to me as buying a bucket of fog.
I’ve got 50 gallon drums of fog for the low , low price of $99.95!! Seriously, will the UK ban lead , I’ve read Britsmoothy’s posts and it seems likely…it’s the perfect “ do gooder” legislation, as it looks to ban a poisonous substance and it’s back door gun control at the same time.

Casting is not only a better way to help assure having a supply but less expensive than buying. However, the price of lead is skyrocketing also. Saw an ad recently for soft lead at $2.00 a pound.

The signs are there. The “ government “ will try to ban all lead everything in a decade or longer. I would scavenge any lead I could find and put it away. If you don’t use it you can always sell it at a profit.
I've got enough to last me the rest of my life at the rate I shoot.

Back