• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are preccusions as fun as flinters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wwpete52 said:
I don't know, do you really think it's just the guy behind the trigger?

awards.jpg

It's either the nut behind the trigger or cheap guns with cheap locks...or both :stir: :)

While I don't get 100% reliability, I have hunted and shot competitively in very severe weather conditions, with no overhead cover, with very good reliability. Anyone who can't get a flint gun to fire reliably needs an education in firearms management.

Or they need to by a quality gun. Buying cheap guns that don't work properly will only lead to the perception that flint guns are no good.

J.D. said:
wwpete52 said:

awards.jpg

It's either the nut behind the trigger or cheap guns with cheap locks...or both :stir: :)

While I don't get 100% reliability, I have hunted and shot competitively in very severe weather conditions, with no overhead cover, with very good reliability. Anyone who can't get a flint gun to fire reliably needs an education in firearms management.

Or they need to by a quality gun. Buying cheap guns that don't work properly will only lead to the perception that flint guns are no good.

Being a good shot and knowing how to use a flintlock are two different things. :grin:

"Or they need to by a quality gun. Buying cheap guns that don't work properly will only lead to the perception that flint guns are no good."
--------
Or they could do as thousands did over the past 170 years and CONVERT their untrustworthy flintlock into a Percussion gun. :grin: :rotf: :hatsoff:

Zonie,

Best idea put forward yet... there ya go! Sorry, I had to... could hep meself... I loves them cap guns.

Jay

"I'm an English dandy'

Funny, I didn't pick up on any accent...

At this late date when I am more interested in shooting that fiddling with my firearms... yes my cappers are more fun than my flinters.

To answer the main question, no.

I've been shooting bp for nigh on 20 years now. It's just in the last year and a half or so that I got into flinters. I had a Renegade flint that I never liked once upon a time, but once I started building my own the caplocks are gathering dust and thinking that they have been abandoned. I took my Isaac Haines to the Carlsbad NM rondy a couple of weeks ago and, for the first time, shot a trail walk with flint. I had it won and dropped the last target. That sort of bites, but I can't say that I'm unhappy about the whole thing since I had the only rocklock. Hitting a chain at 30 yards was a real kick with the flinter.

Duke, the colonies can always use a good man. Lord knows we have enough of the others.

J.D. said:
wwpete52 said:

awards.jpg

I was just thinking that too. I'm relatively new to flinters, and the only one I own is an Austin & Halleck. Still, I read all that I could find here and asked a few questions. I've never had any problems getting mine to fire. My first time out with it was 100% and it remained 100% for several hundred shots until I had my first misfire due to forgetting to pick the vent. Unless the gun has a junk lock or bad flint, misfires are generally due to the shooter overlooking something.

I wish I could move to the USA. I would actually work and pay taxes, but it is so dam hard to move over there.

I like the southern states.

Walks Alone said:
At this late date when I am more interested in shooting that fiddling with my firearms... yes my cappers are more fun than my flinters.

AMEN!

wwpete52 said:
Thanks for calling me a nut.

I didn't call you anything. Please get your quotes right. :shake:

With this lack of attention to detail, perhaps flintlocks aren't for you? :rotf:

J.D. said:
wwpete52 said:

awards.jpg

It's either the NUT behind the trigger or cheap guns with cheap locks...or both :stir: :)

That is what you said. It was a direct reference to what I said about "behind the trigger."

wwpete52 said:
J.D. said:
wwpete52 said:

awards.jpg

It's either the NUT behind the trigger or cheap guns with cheap locks...or both :stir: :)

That is what you said. It was a direct reference to what I said about "behind the trigger."

In your post above, you responded to Carl Davis when saying, "Thanks for calling me a nut." He did not say that.

It appears that you clicked on Carl's post when you meant to respond to J.D. Now, you've clicked on J.D.'s post in response to Carl.

dukewellington said:
It will take around 8 months to get it all done. I can't wait that long.

If you are looking at purchasing a firearm, then presumably you already have your Firearm Certificate. I don't understand why it would take 8 months to get your free issue black powder certificate; didn't you apply for it along with your firearm certificate or the variation toget your M/L rifle? I've never had any problems at all like that.

Are you a member of the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain?

David

wwpete52 said:
Well then, maybe I am a NUT! :youcrazy:

Claude is right. The "nut behind the trigger" comment was mine.

IMHO, everyone is nuts to some extent. Some of us are just nuttier than others. :stir: :grin:

And as far as fiddling with a flint gun to make it go off; I merely load, prime, and fire. No fiddling. IMHO, Anyone who has to "fiddle" with any ML gun to make it go off either needs to buy a good quality gun, or learn to manage his gun.

I shot cap guns, exclusively, for many years and have competed against cap shooters enough that I can say with the experience to back up my opinion, that my flint guns are as reliable as the vast majority of cap guns.

I have shot against cap guns, loading and firing in a frog strangling downpour, with no overhead cover. Condensation apparently formed in the flash channel of the cap guns rendering them useless. I was able to keep my flint gun firing, with only enough "fiddling" required to dry the pan and frizzen, prime and fire.

That string of shots was fired with NO misfires, despite the heavy rain. The shooters firing cap guns were not as fortunate. All cap guns in the hands of even the experienced cap shooters, who braved the rain, were all put out of action before half of my string was fired.

One cap shooter made the comment " if he can shoot a flintgun in the rain. I can shoot my cap gun." He fired three shots before is gun refused to fire again. :blah: :grin:

Agree...IMO, it really does just come down to getting through the learning curve of understanding the few little things required to keep one reliable every shot and once you learn and routinely load & shoot with them in mind, Flintlocks are outstanding and 100% reliable.

When I first started weekend shooting with Flintlocks as a newbie, I was fanatical for every shot about wiping the flint, frizzn, pipe cleaner in & out of the vent, checked the flint's edge, ensured that prime didn't cover the vent, etc, etc. But that takes a lot of time when you're just having a 50 shot range session for the fun of shooting.

So just to see and learn what would really happen, one trip I decided to stop all that 'per-shot' stuff and just let things go to see for myself...and after a couple weekends I saw the same pattern where I'd get 15-20 shots before I'd have a kerlatch and have to stop and knapp the flint. So while wiping the flint and frizzen with an alcohol rag on every shot was making ME feel good like I was doing something, in reality I learned it wasn't actually doing anything worthwhile at all.

So I decided to try a range regimen of setting out 15-18 balls and when they were all used up, I'd stop, take 5 minutes and completely clean off the lock, alcohol wipes, q-tips, pipe cleaners, etc and as part of the routine either knapp or loosen the flint and flip it over from bevel up to bevel down to reposition it due to wear-shortening, etc.

And since I began these periodic cleanups every 15-18 shots (twice during a 50 shot session) I just don't get range failures...once I figured out the 3-4 little things required to keep them running, shooting Flintlocks is as reliable as shooting a .30-30 as far as I'm concerned.
For for hunting of course, I have everything 100% prepared for each and every shot, never even had a hesitation on any shot I've made on game.
If I could only keep one ML, without question it would be a Flintlock.

Latest posts

Back