• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are preccusions as fun as flinters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was going to get a flinter, but since where I live you ned a permit for BP. I doubt I will get one as I can't find a relibe substitue for BP :shake:
I take it you can use pyrodex or 777 in caplock, but people tell em they are just not as fun as flinters.
I did find a caplock armi sport, smoothbore kentucky musket that looked nice though.

Thanks

dukewellington,

All muzzleloaders are fun in thier own right, in thier own manner. :grin: So folks have thier druthers. I'd druther have any muzzleloader I could get my grubby paws on than none at all. And count my blessings. Believe me without going into details I'm living it right now.

Jay

I have several inlines a caplock and none are as fun and challenging as my flintlock.

Maybe I need a flintlock shotgun.

You could always make your own powder if need be! Many of th old timers did just that! You can find that information elsewhere on the web.

As long as your shooting history, they are both fun :thumbsup:

The flinter takes some more involvement, so that initial challenge can be more rewarding for many!

Also stepping back in time further, and the adoption of the flintlock for longer periods of time on the worlds stage. You also get a much more wide array of different guns utilizing the flint system!

IMHO...No. There is just something about flintlocks that a caplock can't do for me.

Duke,

I would say that my flintlocks are a bit more fun BUT a caplock that goes off most all of the time would be much more fun than a flinter that doesn't go off most of the time.

If I could not get real blackpowder, I'd probly go with caplocks.

Which brings me to the question; Why don't you just get the permit? :confused:

dukewellington said:
I was going to get a flinter, but since where I live you ned a permit for BP. I doubt I will get one as I can't find a relibe substitue for BP :shake:
I take it you can use pyrodex or 777 in caplock, but people tell em they are just not as fun as flinters.
I did find a caplock armi sport, smoothbore kentucky musket that looked nice though.

Thanks

Never met a gun that WASN'T fun to shoot! :shake:
I started with 1 ML a used T/C Renegade; It quickly multiplied into a T/c Hawken. grey hawk and a couple new barrels for the Renegade. Then along came a CVA Mt Rifle. All cap locks. My point is that its down right addicting and if I try i can still get debris in my eye when I shoot :wink:
All these cap locks shoot VERY reliably with Pyrodex RS and musket caps. The Renegade will EVEN shoot round balls fairly accurately :grin:
If you have any interest at ALL go do it; you'll find its the most fun since procreation!! :thumbsup:

Because it would take about 8 months. So if for osmereason you guys could not get BP, you would go with a caplock instead of using pyrodex in a flinter?

Pyrodex can be used it caplocks can't it?

Own both. Enjoy both. That being said, there is something about that flash just to the right of my face and a boom immediately afterward that "sends tingles up ma leg" :rotf:
All kidding aside, I like the challenge of the flinter over that of the percussion.
Ultimately it's your call. :thumbsup:

I think they are just as fun to shoot. What you will be missing though is all the "fun" you have attempting to assure a successful firing/shot from the gun. Maybe to sort of replicate some of those thrills you could take apart the caplock every two or three shots. Oh yeah, and have someone throw hot sparks in yer face as you shoot. I enjoy both, but there is something magical about flintlocks.

I've owned 7 flintlocks. I hope to never own another. I like a rifle that fires when I squeeze the trigger. Percussions are more fun. You ask "why did you own so many flintlocks if you didn't enjoy shooting them?" I first started shooting muzzleloaders about 20 years ago. I also started going to Rendezvous as a mountain man. After a couple of years I switched over to the 18th century longhunter. With that switch I had to go to flintlocks. With the percussion rifles I would compete in the shooting events. Once I switched to the flintlock I would try to compete but many times I had problems getting the rifle to fire. I tried rifles and smoothbores. Same old story, ignition sucked. I finally gave up (after at least 14 years). Never again! It's caplocks for me from now on. I had a lot of fun in the 18th century but I just didn't shoot as much as I did when I was in the 19th century. So it's "back to the future"!

WOW!

What state do you live in that requires a law abiding American citizen to get a 'freedom defying' PERMIT to own black powder? You could move to freedom and liberty loving state faster then you could get the permit!

Just a thought...

wwpete52 said:
I've owned 7 flintlocks. I hope to never own another. I like a rifle that fires when I squeeze the trigger. Percussions are more fun. You ask "why did you own so many flintlocks if you didn't enjoy shooting them?" I first started shooting muzzleloaders about 20 years ago. I also started going to Rendezvous as a mountain man. After a couple of years I switched over to the 18th century longhunter. With that switch I had to go to flintlocks. With the percussion rifles I would compete in the shooting events. Once I switched to the flintlock I would try to compete but many times I had problems getting the rifle to fire. I tried rifles and smoothbores. Same old story, ignition sucked. I finally gave up (after at least 14 years). Never again! It's caplocks for me from now on. I had a lot of fun in the 18th century but I just didn't shoot as much as I did when I was in the 19th century. So it's "back to the future"!

Seven flintlocks and none of them would fire? What are the odds of that. I wonder if they all had something in common that was the cause of the problem? :confused:

Ok. Get the best of both worlds. Buy (or have built) a rifle that has convertible locks. Shoot it as a percussion when BP isn't available. Switch locks and shoot BP after you get the permit.
:hatsoff:

NORD said:
WOW!

What state do you live in that requires a law abiding American citizen to get a 'freedom defying' PERMIT to own black powder? You could move to freedom and liberty loving state faster then you could get the permit!

Just a thought...

I live in the freedom defying stae of merry old england. Where you need a permit to sneeze!

No serously, you need a permit for for a gun, and if you wan't a differnt type of gun, you need another permit. All costing lots of money.

Doc Arroyo said:
Ok. Get the best of both worlds. Buy (or have built) a rifle that has convertible locks. Shoot it as a percussion when BP isn't available. Switch locks and shoot BP after you get the permit.
:hatsoff:

You'll need a permit to switch locks!

Back