• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Are part still available from CVA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B17goinmyway

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, new to this forum. I have a CVA 1861 Colt Navy do it yourself kit that I got back in 1981. I started to build it but never finished. Looking to get back to it and now found it is missing a few small parts. I checked online and could not determine if CVA is still around or if parts for this gun are available. Anyone have any information on the current status of CVA? Not sure if I have the 36 or 44 cal. Model.

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_235446_01.jpg
    IMG_20210112_235446_01.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 171
That would have been produced by one of the Italian makers. Look closely for any markings and you may be able to track down the maker. Then parts will be easier to find.

CVA never built any revolvers, they were built by others and I doubt they ever stocked parts for the revolvers. They had more than one supplier over the years. Looking at the junction of the round barrel and the streamlined lug I believe that one was made by Armi San Palo/Euroarms and there are no factory parts available. Parts from other manufacturers can be fitted. What small parts do you need? BTW, it's an 1860 Army and not a Navy.

Not sure about the parts but that's a .44 I can tell by the cylinder. Which means it should be an 1860 army. Navy are .36
Hi Justin well the paperwork that came with it said Colt Navy and it looks like a Navy scene of some sort engraved on the cylinder. But I think your right about the 44 cal. I just was not sure because the manual that came with the gun said that both 36 and 44 cal where available. Thank you sir.

Hi Justin well the paperwork that came with it said Colt Navy and it looks like a Navy scene of some sort engraved on the cylinder. But I think your right about the 44 cal. I just was not sure because the manual that came with the gun said that both 36 and 44 cal where available. Thank you sir.
No problem. See in this picture the one on top is the 1860 army, notice the flared out cylinder for the larger caliber and the little step cut in the frame underneath to accept the bigger cylinder. The .36 1861 navy will have a cylinder like the one below and no step cut in the frame. Other than that they look very similar. Good luck getting it fixed up. Justin
49631a50x1.jpg

Ok upon further inspection on the top portion of the barrel it says Connecticut Valley Arms Inc.. On the bottom of the barrel it says A.S.M. Black Powder Only Made In Italy. Engraved on the Cylinder is a Naval war scene and the words Engaged 16 May 1843. So it looks to be a Revolver made by a company called A.S.M. but sold by CVA. I have this manual that I believe came with the gun kit but to be honest alot of my belongings have been mixed up over the years from moving around the country. Thanks for all your help.

No problem. See in this picture the one on top is the 1860 army, notice the flared out cylinder for the larger caliber and the little step cut in the frame underneath to accept the bigger cylinder. The .36 1861 navy will have a cylinder like the one below and no step cut in the frame. Other than that they look very similar. Good luck getting it fixed up. JustinView attachment 58588
Yep I can see what your talking about and I agree looks like a 44 cal to me. After looking at the cylinder more closely I realized it has some sort of Naval battle engraved on it and says Engaged 16 May 1843. So I think maybe the 1861 Colt Navy. Thanks for the photos and the difference between 36 and 44. Dan

Ok upon further inspection on the top portion of the barrel it says Connecticut Valley Arms Inc.. On the bottom of the barrel it says A.S.M. Black Powder Only Made In Italy. Engraved on the Cylinder is a Naval war scene and the words Engaged 16 May 1843. So it looks to be a Revolver made by a company called A.S.M. but sold by CVA. I have this manual that I believe came with the gun kit but to be honest alot of my belongings have been mixed up over the years from moving around the country. Thanks for all your help.

A.S.M. is Armi San Marco. They are no longer in business but parts can be found. Just search ASM Colt 1860 army
Got it thanks, here is the manual that I Thought went with this gun but may have went to another that I have had over the years. Need to keep my things better organized.

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_194838.jpg
    IMG_20210113_194838.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210113_194901.jpg
    IMG_20210113_194901.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210113_194924.jpg
    IMG_20210113_194924.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 77
I realize this is an old thread, but jumping in here, as I was just gifted an old CVA ASM brasser like this one. I think the confusion is, this is a “fantasy” gun. Mine appears to be a .44 cal 1860 8” Army barrel and rebated cylinder, with a brass frame (with the step down for the larger cylinder), mated to an 1861 Navy grip. The fantasy aspect is that (to my understanding) no 1860 Colt Army revolvers had brass frames, and no 1851 or 1861 Colt Navy revolvers were .44 cal, and the 1861 Navy had a 7.5” barrel, and a non-rebated .36 cal cylinder.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
Back