• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Are movie prop revolvers fully functional reproductions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yikes. I didn't hear that. That sounds particularly awful. Having seen my fair share of abdominal gsw's and stabs, that's a pretty painful way to go.
You know how the news media is, I'm sure the story will change in the end. I heard a few reports that it was a shotgun, if so, that could change the whole dynamic, i.e., one barrel, two barrels. Double barrels are most common in westerns, he could have touched off both.

I'm in no way defending Baldwin, he probably did do something stupid. But I'll wait till the real details come out. That's if we do ever get the true story?
He does think himself special though, he loves to tell everybody about how his ancestors came over on the Mayflower, and he's 13th generation.

Are movie prop revolvers fully functional reproductions?

I am looking for opinions about the accident in New Mexico.
It appears that one was? I never cared for Alex Baldwin,(spelling)? I do feel sorry for him this time. Killing someone is something you never forget and the one thing you try hardest to get out of your mind. He can use our prayers!

When Gettysburg was being filmed, there wasn't a civil war rifle available for sale for a long while.

If you can believe ANY media at all these days, the LA Times reports it was a single live round but did not specify caliber. Also said the Union complained of inadequate safety measures and at least 2 accidental firearm discharges in previous days before the shooting.
I might be wrong but I think a prop gun is just a gun.

If it was a semi-auto with an empty magazine, and no one (ie: Baldwin himself) cleared the chamber-then BOOM, an instant tragedy! The very LAST person handling the gun is ultimately responsible.

From the explanation, the first shot was more like a squib load as the bullet was in the chamber but separated from the cartridge case.
This makes the most sense. A squib might not have been noticed as it stuck in the barrel, the armorer emptied the cylinder, and reloaded with blanks. The blanks might even be marked on the end of the case, for easy identification. The first blank to be fired propelled the squib out with the force of a loaded round. Easily avoided, but this was her first position as head armorer (per other articles, including her own comments). Experience can mean a lot, as we all have seen.

No way that was a simple accident to take out two people.
Yes way.

There was live ammo. NBC Today has an update right now (7am Saturday). The Armorer is the daughter of a long-time Hollywood armorer but is new to her role. It appears there was a break in the chain of custody during a pause on the set and neither she nor Baldwin checked the gun, a .45 Colt revolver, before rehearsal resumed. The one shot went thru the woman and hit the director.

Granted Baldwin is a despicable human being (I'm being generous) that has his egocentric head so far up his butt that lump in his throat is his nose but the PD completed their investigation and the DA determined Baldwin is not criminally culpable. That said I hope the families of the victims sue him into perpetual poverty.

The whole thing could be a modern day episode of the late 1990s TV western "Dead Man's Gun" narrated by Kris Kristofferson. The theme of each episode always centered around an outlaw's gun, which was said to have been possessed and forged in Hell, and that the hands of those whom it passed through would die or their lives would be changed tragically forever. The show was produced by Henry (The Fonz) Winkler. I watched it often, pretty good show, though it only lasted two seasons.
Dead Man's Gun Trailer

Regardless of how many back-up safety checks there are supposed to be, if someone handed me a gun and said, "Point it at that person." In my hands, the last hands before the trigger is pulled, it is my responsibility to make sure the gun is not loaded, nobody else's.

This squib business sounds like a grasp at justification and excuse.
Just plausible enough to muddy the waters and tale some pressure off Baldwin.

Baldwin has been a screaming wacko gun control proponent for a long time.
And I generally disagree with him, and most other gun control advocates vehemently. But,,,, having listened to some recordings of him berating his young daughter, verbally abusing his wife and others, and seeing and hearing several examples of him completely coming unglued at people,,,,,,, he is exactly the type of person who should never, ever, be allowed to handle firearms anyway.

May he rot in prison until his "roommate," makes the other end of his alimentary canal bigger than his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back