• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ardesa Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. As I live in Spain I can give you some information about that Ardesa replica of the Hawken. That model and also in caliber 50 was the first rifle that I bought in 1988, when I was 25 years old. If it is a 50 caliber, it has a 66" twist. Therefore, it is a good rifle to shoot with a round ball, especially with not very high loads, since the groove is not very deep. At 50 meters it groups very well with 50 grains of black powder. Swiss No. 2 (3fff). Use 0.490 ball and 0.015" linen patch. And trade the rear sight for a semi-buckhorn. Walnut wood is of good quality and if it takes away the shine you can finish it with linseed oil, in a more natural way and with a very beautiful darker color. The nipple is metric thread 6x100. It is a very good heavy rifle for competitions for 50 meters (55 yards) or for hunting, but with a round bullet, because with a maxi bullet I don't think it will group well.
If the nipple does not transmit fire well, you may need to remove the side drum and trim it so that the fire from the nipple communicates well with the breech that closes the barrel. You can also change the side drum for a good quality steel one, like the one you sell for Spanish guns Track of the Wolf (from Dikar-CVA- and Ardesa -Traditions-).

Greetings from Spain.
Thanks Hermano for your info. A year or so ago, we spent a few days in Barcelona while waiting to get on a cruise. It was a lot of fun, even though there was some rioting going on. Beautiful country and lots of things to see. I plan on stripping off the barrel blue and shiny stock finish on the Ardesa this weekend. The wife will be out of town and I won't have honey-do's in the way.

Last edited:
I have an Ardesa Hawken in .451 with the 1:20 twist, shoots conical bullets through the same hole at 100m, I have shot steel at 200m but couldn't see where the shot was falling at 300m to adjust the sights properly. One day I want to see if I can take it out to 600yards, but need the ranges to open first!

I live in Alconbury, UK. Five miles from you. Small world, eh?

That's a fine looking rifle. The sights don't match the rest of it, in period or overall appearance.
A heavy barrelled .36 makes it even more attractive. I'd change them, but stop there & just shoot it.
Have fun.
I have an order in to TOTW for a primitive rear sight to replace the Thompson Center looking one. Once I get the barrel browned, the stock sanded and oiled, I think she will look pretty good.

Latest posts

Back