• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ardesa .45 Kentucky Compound Stock Fracture.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently bought this from a forum member. Ardesa .45 Kentucky. Based his honest and above board photos, I knew what I was getting into.

An ugly compound stock fracture. But it's why the Gun Gods invented Titebond III, toothpicks and painter's tape.

If this were your average pallet wood stock, I'd chop it and turn the full stock into a half stock. But it's, wait for it, WALNUT. Yes, boys and girls, beautifully figured walnut on a Spanish made Kentucky. Gotta save her. Or at least try.

Follow along.

Step 1...Gently spread apart the broken areas and gently insert toothpicks. Gently!

Attachments

• IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    511.4 KB · Views: 0
Step 2... Grease the barrel so it will release from the glue.

Step3... Flood the areas to be joined with glue. Press everything into place. Wipe away excess glue.

Step4... Wrap that gorgeous walnut with painter's tape. Tightly!

Step 5... Wait 24 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    518.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 0
Step 2... Grease the barrel so it will release from the glue.

Step3... Flood the areas to be joined with glue. Press everything into place. Wipe away excess glue.

Step4... Wrap that gorgeous walnut with painter's tape. Tightly!

Step 5... Wait 24 hours.
That should do the trick for integrity.
Larry

Poor old Spanish girl had a tough life.

May have happened when the fore stock took a hit. Or just a plain old stress crack.

Could use pins. Could do a dado cut and wood block repair.

Let this one marinate for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
If possible, keep the barrel in the stock while sanding down the repaired area. This will provide support for that thin wall.

Wrap a sanding block in 150 grit paper to get most of the surface sanded down. Work the entire area. Not just the broken area. Working the entire area will prevent dips and low spots from forming. When close to being finished, switch to 220 grit wrapped around a block.

The more I look at the color and grain pattern the more it looks like a type of mahogany and not walnut. Very lightweight and a fingernail can easily dent the wood. Almost looks like butternut. But I don't think even the Spanish would use butternut for a rifle stock.

Attachments

• IMG_1211 (1).JPG
    IMG_1211 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back