• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Archaic arms, created by Rudyard.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long is the pipe Gordon The classic dimensions for a Caliver are " barrl fowwer foote With bore of 10 standing 12 rowling" But any other would pass as' a fowling piece' .You do realize this is a slippery slope ? once addicted to burning hemp cords smouldering away you might if not strong willed succombe to the whole matchlock thing take to wearing a big floppy wide awake hat and feel the need to make up & wear a collar of bandoleers to wear over your doublet plus in extreme cases take to wearing a Hounslow hanger and sporting a fancifull moustache .While uttering such naughty words as " Zounds, Gadszooks,eegad "and generally babbleing on like some one out of a Shakspearian play .Tis a slippery slope indeed. But have fun.
Regards Rudyard

Never really got round to string burners.Done a few flintters and a couple of L/R match rifles but had happy times with Rudyard on Short Siberia, Century and Stickledown in"Starlite Hotel days and Owler Bar and with Feltwad at Tow Law and about. Last piece of Wild Wallnut came from the local Vicarage front garden,now on a Henry F/B L/R Match rifle.
OLD DOG

Never really got round to string burners.Done a few flintters and a couple of L/R match rifles but had happy times with Rudyard on Short Siberia, Century and Stickledown in"Starlite Hotel days and Owler Bar and with Feltwad at Tow Law and about. Last piece of Wild Wallnut came from the local Vicarage front garden,now on a Henry F/B L/R Match rifle.
OLD DOG
Have often heard of Starlite Hotel I understand it was five star luxury , yes Tow law that was in the 1990,s a yearly event by BASC have a full video of one of them .those were the days.
Feltwad

The' Starlight hotel' Yes very handy has hot & cold running squirrels and the odd fox screams. But the tariff is very modest and they have branches everywhere .' Astra, Castra ,Numen ,Lumen'. ' The stars my camp, providence my guide ' sort of fits there chain motto. AH Falling block I had number 1922 but sold it back to the family .
Cheers Rudyard

Very kind of you Toot only two museums have them a Winnipeg museum has two Elizabethan matchlocks a Caliver & a Petronel I made for the Gunner of the' Golden Hinde ' along with the collar of bandaliers & Patron ect .and a' Lawrence's pattern' East India Company musket now resides in the Leeds RA .1760 to 1769 from memory General Stringer Lawrence's design of a lighter 39" brl with Carbine size lock fore runner of the ' Windus pattern' many call the' 3d model' or' India pattern'. None could be located but Salvors dredging the Goodwin sands brought up remains of some lost when the E I Coy Indiaman' Albion' sank in 1765 from memory while the iron work was rusted away the brass mounts & supprisingly the stocks where good enough to take photos & dims of which where sent me so I knocked one up . Getz barrel and Cawnpore copy of a Lott lock modified . We even got it proofed at the London Proof house, My patron wanted that . Its illustrated in David Harding's Major four volume work in the 'Patterns' volume . Ile see if I can add a pic later . Thank you for the compliment .
Regards Rudyard

I really love the use of bone for the muzzle cap and ramrod pipes.
It is inspiring to say the least.
Where do you find inspiration for there shape design and embellishment?
Is it normal to dovetail the ramrod pipes in?
How do you hold the muzzlecap on? Still riveted or pinned?

Is it bone or antler?
I can't think of where to get bone thick enough.

A' gob' is a large void in a tunnel or a mine roof .Best not to smack one !. I learnt that working on a railway line tunnel in Zulu land in 1970. I Like the Kukaburrus .
Regards Rudyard

I just did the E machine says I've gone over 30 minits ' oops ' what none sence Ile try again shame to not get it through '
Gun maker not typist! Rudyard . PS must have got through you read it in part at least. Zulu land was sort of different the coal line ran from Vryheid to Richards bay most all through the Zulu homeland & the White Umfalozi game reserve trees polished by Rhino's & lions about the site. I was a carpenter assisted by four Boys of my own but often got the Surveyors if he was away quite a task sorting them all out Zulus, Bassootoes , some ,Xoza with the' click' sounds . I got on well enough Used to make them stools they liked that effort Different world really A travellor from the US got a job as Plant mechanic. was good at Volts waggons but his boys had more idea on the big plant but he was a master of BS and we got the Boys to build us a Kia (Mud hut ) same plan as locals but we just went for Maltoid roof not straw . I got the name' Moojella' from the boys they do that .for you. You dont have any input. I learned Moojella was a Bassuto King who never combed his hair . Well better than ' UM Dogsbreath' eh . Cheers Rudyard

Last edited:
Gibberish ? Its what it was like . " The Wildest dreams of Kew ,Are the facts of Kathmandoo"( Kipling). Been up there too , Black water Fever two mounths great place , Bar the yellow eyeballs bit . We should have guns in these in Natal I had a' rock drill 'Flintlock & in Nepaul I just scounged about after old guns. Good fun . Rudyard

Could'nt get into Tibet . Many Tibetan refugees in Nepaul . I wasn't well enough to venture further just took a bus to Roxaul then Train to Cawnpore ( They spell it Kanpur but I preffer the old spellings ) Northern region still had steam trains as far south as Jansee. Met a merchant while scrounging up flasks & moulds ect one gave me a local trade percussion
lock as a sample. I later began tradeing into India getting old doubles & falling blocks , Took Tea with three MahahRajahs in day big palaces falling into decay bought two double rifles from HRH Nagod who was out on' shikar' ( hunting wild pigs) when we called earlier. Still echo's from the glory days of the Raj. Shame really .No pensions so the historic palaces are all fallen into decay .

"Youth was cheap ,Wherefore we sold it . Gold was good we hoped to hold it , And today we know the fullness of our gains. From Kipling's ' Xmas in India'
.Remenising Rudyard

That would be good, I can talk the leg off an iron pot ! My out of time info re the use of Stag & Ivories got run but seems to be vanished now . Cheers Rudyard

Last edited:
my word you could bundle then, your travels into a book. you rely take us back when you explain weapons or your travels. you are a national treasure in my mind, I hang on your every word.

Feltwad, Starlight hotel is any where Rudyard has puts his head for the night. That includes most of the world. In UK sleeping bags Seemed to be curtecy of local councils. Usually in Black. OLD DOG..

Dear Greenswlde .Cant quite follow the council plastic bag bit .But .Ime sure its meant well. Dear Toot I do seem have got around. I am writing a book about my youth full travels through West Africa in 1964 /65 was over landing to cape Town but could'nt get through Congo as they where killing each other . (No TV ) So broke I took a job on Fernando Po for a princely 100 Pesetas a day then took passage to Cadiz on a supply /Troop ship .reached home with 8 shillings & change after 10 months out ..Different World today but its why I write about Nigerian Dane guns & Algerian Snaphances . Thank you both for the compliments
Regards Rudyard .

Back