• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aquafortis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, how did you get this particular patina on the barrel? I love the look and would like to try something like that. Was it simply browned and rubbed out?

DSC_0229.jpg

It was cold blue, I allowed to rust, then worked back with scotch brite. If I do it again, plan on wiping it back more.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the pictures, its nice to know when I'm right.
That is a dandy looking smooth rifle and thanks again for posting more pics.

jdkerstetter said:
Interesting you got the same colors, on the same wood, regardless whether it was the crystals or the home made brews of AF. That's good to know. I will stick with the crystals and Wahkon Bay and avoid playing with the acid.

I agree completely.

No point in messing with the acid if I don't need to, to many chances for things to go wrong.

I gotta think that a nice oil finish will make that wood MORE than presentable! Do you like it?

What was your first thought when you applied it, and it turned that sickly grey green, before you blushed it..

Bill

bogie said:
I gotta think that a nice oil finish will make that wood MORE than presentable! Do you like it?

I will probably never use stains again, there is just no comparison with the aqua fortis, even as good as the Laurel Mountain Forge, Homer Dangler, lines are, they cannot do what the aqua fortis does.

So yes I am a believer in the old ways.

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
What was your first thought when you applied it, and it turned that sickly grey green, before you blushed it..

Bill

I'll get some pictures this weekend and you can see what mine does, sickly green is not it.

Looks Good :thumbsup: You will find that the more you experment the more confortable you will become with aqua fortis.Now that you've moved to the dark side you won't return :wink: :wink:

Mitch

ApprenticeBuilder Were you guys using it straight from the bottle or did you tweak the solution a bit before the application ?[/quote said:
I use it straight. It stains dark unless it gets old. I stained two stocks quite a few years apart with the same bottle. The first rifle was quite dark and has darkened with age except where it was handled a lot. The other one is a good bit lighter. Of course that particular bottle had sat in the cabinet for about 18 years. Michael Lea bought Wahkon Bay some time ago and when I bought some bottles from him at a show back in January, he indicated that he had tweaked the recipe a little and it is supposedly better than it was. I thought it worked fine to begin with. I don't know what change(s) he made. I've not used any of it yet.

I'm assuming that you know that you need to use heat to activate this stain. Not hard to do but easy to scorch the wood if you don't watch out. If you're careful you can manipulate your colors in a pleasing fashion.

tallbear said:
Now that you've moved to the dark side you won't return :wink: :wink:

Mitch

The dark side represents taking that extra step to get the most out of the project, i'm there. There really is no comparison plus the dark side has cookies :grin:

KanawhaRanger said:
I'm assuming that you know that you need to use heat to activate this stain. Not hard to do but easy to scorch the wood if you don't watch out. If you're careful you can manipulate your colors in a pleasing fashion.

Yes,

In my limited exposure to this process it is evident that heat, how long it is applied, and how hot it is, have a huge effect on the outcome.

So,

Earlier up this thread I mentioned that I would be getting some more pictures together to high light my experience with this process so far.

The first pic is of the Wahkon Bay aqua fortis solution that I purchased then subsequently added enough iron material to to get the "dragons breath", this stuff has not been disturbed for a week.
IMG_3441.jpg

This solution is thick, there is a considerable amount of surface tension when the dauber is inserted into the mix, still looks like rusty sludge.
IMG_3446.jpg

Here is another piece of that same blank that I am finishing up.
IMG_3445.jpg

Here here is what that piece looks like with the solution applied, does not take alot of juice to create a change of color.
IMG_3447.jpg

Here are a couple pieces of that same blank, same juice, same length of time exposed to the juice. The color difference is a result of what stage the application of heat was applied.
IMG_3444.jpg

Finaly got my book today
IMG_3448.jpg

:grin:

Back