• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

April 5,6 Fort Charters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a juried event for F&i period. I have been told by folks who have went that me and my camp could pass muster and I will be off at this time and would like to go. Does any one have any info on who to contact.
I’ve emailed the fort a few times and not got a response. I don’t want to drive four hours for nought but would like to go.

This is a juried event for F&i period. I have been told by folks who have went that me and my camp could pass muster and I will be off at this time and would like to go. Does any one have any info on who to contact.
I’ve emailed the fort a few times and not got a response. I don’t want to drive four hours for nought but would like to go.

My wife and I were there about 7 years ago for most of a day as spectators only. I had to make several calls in advance to make sure the event was going to take place. The issue was in doubt because of state budget cuts, but I finally found out it was going to be a " Go " for that year.
Most of the event was run by Illinois state employees, which I found somewhat odd.
We found it quite interesting, especially the small military unit drills and ceremonies.
Don't know if you have been there before, but I recommend it.

Fort De Chartres? Been there a few times. Previously, contact was been a problem...I have not attempted contact with the new company. Its about 2 hours away from us, years ago... we attempted contact multiple times with no luck, yet we went...only to find it was flooded out. I can only hope the new company or the state (either one for that matter) is better at communication. If it is a wet spring and you cannot get in contact with the new company, I would suggest calling the Sheriff's office to see if the area is flooded. None the less, we have been there at least four or five times over the last 20 years or so, as spectators only. A picture of the front and one of my young-in's.

De Chartres.jpg

De Chartres 2.jpg

Last edited:
I got the application and sent if off last week, had emailed my photos to them so I should see you there.
By the by what is this ‘normal clothing’ of which you speak?;)

Normal clothing or 21st century civilian clothing suitable for walking through a park. Tenngun, if you get accepted, normal clothing would be what you submitted with your application.

Yeah, we do have to worry about the river on the other side of the levee.

In the meantime we'll have to teach you how to pronounce "de Chartres". And yes, the local residents of Randolf County, say Charters and the period maps have the name for the fort shown as Fort Charters. At the Faire, the fort is pronounced " de Shart".

Note: After the British took possession in 1765, the name of the fort was changed to Fort Cavendish. Needless to say Fort Cavendish didn't stick. So the name was allowed to be anglicized to Fort Charters.

Not one of those problems to get all worked up about.

Last edited:
Back