• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

April 2023 Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are two famous holidays celebrated in April - National Jellybean Day on April 21 and National Pretzel Day on April 26 - everyone knows these holidays, right?

Shoot offhand from 25 yards with rifle or 15 yards with handgun.

10 shots for score - 5 shots in the pretzel and 5 into the jellybean. Score as shown on the target - hits inside the holes in the pretzel are zero pts

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please write your pts scored on the target along with information on the load you used.

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!

I will be posting March results in a couple of days.

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary

Attachments

• April 2023 Target.pdf
    353.4 KB · Views: 35
i like jelly beans better than pretzels.
woke up feeling human today so i shot the April target.
i used my TC Hawken topped with TC vernier tang sight and matching globe front.
used my latest batch of homebrew with 60g charge. ffff in the pan.
Hornady .495 swaged with .005 patch lubed with some ox-yoke wonder lube i found cleaning out a shed yesterday. must be about 30 years old.
drypatch swabbed every other shot.
anyway this is about as good as i can do when all the stars align. started to rain so i hurried some. ever mention i hate the rain?
20230407_122043.jpg

Gary, nice day in south Texas today. Shot the April target.
Lemme know how you score it. Especially the shot on the pretzel with half in 10.
Thanks for continuing this. I enjoy it.
Salty

Attachments

• 9FD1BAA8-64FB-4146-A1EE-9B3CEADBB6C7.jpeg
    9FD1BAA8-64FB-4146-A1EE-9B3CEADBB6C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Salty! I score the target as a 45. Half in scores higher value. Same for the shot on the bottom edge of the pretzel - it is inside the outline of the pretzel and scores as a 5!

JakeGA and I tried to shoot the target tis afternoon and it started raining very hard right after we started so we decided to come back another day!

.40 caliber poor boy flintlock
.390 round ball pillow tick patch
40 grains FFF Schutezen
Met a group of guys who were doing training sessions for NRA black powder instructors. Told them in my 30 plus years of shooting at this club/range I had never seen another flintlock shooter. They were firing unmentionable black powder guns as well as percussion and flintlock.
021.jpg

Got home from "wintering over" in FL Tuesday PM and had a chance to download and print targets for the April match. Here are my two entries (below) + particulars. Btw, BP Maniac is on to something with [slightly] undersized RB's. I.e., there's no beating the smaller RB's down the bore and you can likely use the ramrod that came with your rifle.

Particulars I used my Lyman .50cal. GPR (cap lock) with tight wedges and tang (wrapped in thick teflon tape). The RB's were .4885" cast from my Lyman .490 RB mould (pure Pb). Ordinarily I'd use a .492" RCBS RB, but I get tired of having to smack the short starter with my palm, then force the patched RB down the bbl. (a steel rod is a must for this!). Patches were .018" pillow ticking lubed with 1 Ballistol : 6 water, which were left wet. Powder charge was 55gr. (volume) of Graf's/GOEX FFg. Two more things to mention: I swapped out the primitive sight for the original buckhorn, but shimmed it internally to cure the wandering zero. Second, I cleaned the GPR at the range since I didn't want to disturb the fitting of the bbl. in the stock, etc.

Thanks again to Gary for running these matches!

Attachments

• IMG_6484.jpeg
    IMG_6484.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 0
Sunny day today and a little windy but I got to the club to shoot the April target. Shot low on the pretzel so held the front sight a bit lower in the rear sight and did a little better on the jellybean. I score it as a 65. Will file a bit more off the front the next time I go to shoot.

The yellow target was my practice target - 25 yds offhand. I can do better when I have something that I can clearly see!

IMG_1053.jpegIMG_0326.jpeg

Back